1922 Buick model 22-4-36

Mike Mowen

In search of speedometer, oil and amp gauges, ignition and light switch, dash light and hood latch’s.  I do have the the ignition and light assembly but the key lock is missing.  I also have both gauges but the glass lenses are shattered so if anyone knows if these items can be refurbished id go that rout to stay with original equipment.

56C6DB9B-BBFA-4BF3-A6C8-9379895C1A0E.jpeg

Edited by Mike Mowen (see edit history)

• Mike Mowen changed the title to 1922 Buick model 22-4-36

Mike:

I searched for the correct gages for my 1925 standard and had to do a bit of restoration on them to clean up the faces. The bezels were sent out to be re-nickled and I had to cut new glass and make gaskets. It is doable with patients. I believe I made a fixture for removing and reseting the bezels.

DSCF7746.JPG.a69d438fb4f05279fe9917aabbda3a0d.JPG 

Carefully working around with a Sloyd knife to remove the bezel. I believe clock and instrument repairmen have better devices.

DSCF7747.JPG.4878c6d6a09b7295b152a848ab40c911.JPG

I bored a hole in a hardwood block with a split cut to clamp the body. Then made a wood form to press the bezel /glass/gasket assembly back on. Using my drill press.

DSCF7749.JPG.fafef9e5fd366bafda84498d95ae5a75.JPG

DSCF7746.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Teaching Industrial Arts for 30 years shows up once and a while. The previous system was known as Manual Arts. Before that the Sloyd system. Now it is reduced to STEM. 

One of the first lessons we were to teach was the sharpening and honing of the students assigned Sloyd Knife. It was used for everything cutting, trimming, layout work in wood leather etc.

In todays education environment one can not fathom assigning middle school age students a knife to care for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Teaching Industrial Arts for 30 years shows up once and a while. The previous system was known as Manual Arts. Before that the Sloyd system. Now it is reduced to STEM. 

One of the first lessons we were to teach was the sharpening and honing of the students assigned Sloyd Knife. It was used for everything cutting, trimming, layout work in wood leather etc.

In todays education environment one can not fathom assigning middle school age students a knife to care for. 

When I was in high school for wood shop we were allowed to bring in shot guns and rifles to refinish the stocks and Refinish and blue the barrels.  I remember carrying my rifle in the case  through the school hallways to my locker.  It’s amazing how things have changed.