FS 1929 Desoto Frame and Running Gear

I thought I would offer this up here first before I list it anywhere else.  Complete frame and running gear - engine, transmission and rear end for a 1929 Desoto.  Includes the front axle, 4 solid wooden spoked wheels and 4 tires that do not appear to have any road use, though I do not know how old they are.  There is no gas tank.  I have not had the engine running, though it does turn over by hand.  Sold on  a bill of sale only as parts.  Chassis is located in Innerkip, Ontario roughly 2 1/2 hrs from either Buffalo or Detroit, about 10 miles from where Highways 401 and 403 meet.  I'd prefer to sell it all together but I may consider parting it out.  There are lots of trucking companies local to me and I am able to crate parts and deliver them to a terminal.  Woodstock, Ont is the closest trucking terminal location as well there is a Fastenal located there.  The US/Canada border is now open to US residents but unfortunately for Canadians we can still not travel south by land crossings.  I am happy to send any additional pictures and will do my best to answer any questions.  Asking $1500 Canadian which at todays exchange rate is $1200 US.  

DSC_0417 (2).JPG

DSC_0418 (2).JPG

DSC_0419 (2).JPG

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fossil said:

Do you know of the steering sector (gear box) is the same in a 1930 CF?

If and when you decide to part it out I would be interested in that if it's in good shape. 

I will have to do some digging through the parts catalogs to see if they are the same.

• Like 1

1077548475_steer2.jpg.7db66e4a503d5a5abef514f9f4ccd6ac.jpg

Don't see anything in the crossover book so I'll check the numbers on mine. 

Here are photos of the only numbers visible. They are on the casting between the steering box and the frame. They include 9751 with a 4 on top of those and there is a letter M under an arch. 

1237100780_steer1.jpg.eb211b535d6d08108d71468b8d5fe210.jpg

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

Nothing I can see anywhere near that large. Looks like your main gear box is stamped on the adjustment screw side. I'm not seeing anything there. Will have to look again. Did clean it off with a wire brush. 

Here is what I have - I've decided that clearly I have too much stuff kicking around and need to make some room:

The first pictures are from a steering gear that is out of a 1931 Dodge DH6 - it came out of a car that the fellow hot rodded and instead of taking the column apart property he cut right through the housing and shaft about a foot above the box.  The next picture that looks like it came from the wreck of the Titanic is the one that is actually in the chassis an still mounted.  I apologize for the photo but the engine splash shields are still on the car and that was the best that I could get holding my phone in the limited space in their.  I think that number is the same as the third box that came out of a 1930 Dodge DD6.  

DSC_0679 (2).JPG

DSC_0680 (2).JPG

20211012_125843 (2).jpg

20211012_130000 (2).jpg

20211012_130030 (2).jpg

• Like 1

It's suppose to be a lousy day tomorrow so I will be home. I'll take a mirror out there see if I can find anymore numbers. I didn't see any numbers near the adjustment screw like yours and Tom's. 

Finally got back under the hood today and did some work with the wire wheel and found these numbers. Except for the last number they look to be the same as yours. Do you have any idea what the last number represents.

1205035687_Steeringbox.jpg.7a3092d2c160632377277344c339cf19.jpg

I'll do some more digging in the parts books to see what I can come up with but I think that this is the most likely case.

14 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

run number or revision number for the casting

That box is out of a car already so it will be easy enough for me to get a price to ship it - might be the best idea to make sure that it even makes sense cost wise for you.

13 hours ago, 3macboys said:

best idea to make sure that it even makes sense cost wise for you.

This is probably the first thing I should have inquired about, price. My first question should have been "what do you want for it" and gone from there. Duh 🥺

I can probably rebuild mine for the price of purchasing and shipping. Maybe less. 

15 hours ago, Fossil said:

This is probably the first thing I should have inquired about, price. My first question should have been "what do you want for it" and gone from there. Duh 🥺

I can probably rebuild mine for the price of purchasing and shipping. Maybe less. 

PM sent 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A quick update - the chassis and running gear has been sold.  The new owner already has it running and has a second chassis only 10 numbers away by serial number from this one.  He has a roadster body that will be going onto this chassis - sometimes things just have a way of finding the right home.  

• Like 2