title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: convertible

1923 STUDEBAKER Touring Car
6 Cylinder, 4 Door In Beautiful Rebuilt Condition
Have Pink Slip

Has New Battery, New Electric Fuel Pump, New Fan Built, etc
Needs the Carburetor rebuilt

01111_6RvnZmUsuojz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00u0u_j8Vmrth9200z_0CI0kv_600x450.jpg100b0b_aiyQHOFVaP6z_0CI0pm_600x450.jpg

00202_jKJojzDZKgVz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Late 1923 Light Six. Lots of issues - looks like very amateur restoration done on it at some point. From these pictures I see….missing splash panel under the front of the radiator, wrong tail light, wrong headlight lenses and the trim rings don’t look right, running boards missing cut outs for shackle oilers, genny and cutout relay missing some parts, wrong horn and mount, someone added a key start, handles broken off light/ignition switch, rear foot rest missing, wrong interior door panels and rear carpet, missing interior door handles, incorrect robe rail, missing several trim pieces on the front toe board that wrap the pedals, missing the top bow holders and it just doesn’t look like enough top under that boot, engine is the wrong color, body paint job doesn’t look very good in the photos which means it must really be bad, the rock behind the rear wheel doesn’t inspire confidence in the brake system. I like the duct tape holding the fan belt together. 

I hate to be the Debbie downer so on the plus side…..it does have the disc wheel option.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/5/2021 at 10:36 PM, mike6024 said:

So light six means this has the aluminum head like the one Bernie Jacobsen had, down under, Australia.

(Aluminum heads often crack, get stripped spark plug holes, and are unaffordable to replace the head.)

The Light Six (EJ Model) started production in 1920 with an aluminum head, aluminum timing chain cover, aluminum accessory support housing, aluminum fan support and aluminum distributor support but, more importantly, it had Studebaker's first "modern" monobloc engine design that was used for the next 10+ years. The Light Six was their base model car of their three model line up, followed by the Special Six and Big Six. In 1923, the Light Six received a number of improvements and was given a new model designation of EM.  The 1923 Light Six Touring Car was Studebaker's first all metal body which was stamped out by the Budd Company in Philadelphia and rail shipped to South Bend. That same year, about mid-way in 1923, the engine was redesigned to eliminate the aluminum head and replace it with a cast iron design which required design changes in the block also.  The reason for the change is as you suggested, too many issues, especially with the early aluminum castings. The car for sale has a cast iron head so, it is a late 1923 build. 1924 was the last year for the model. My 1923 Light Six has an original aluminum head. I have a several thousand miles on it now with no issues (knock on aluminum),but my spare head has a weld repair as you can see in the photo. They are really thin castings over the combustion chamber.

The aluminum head also acts as an intake manifold which Studebaker patented as a "hot spot" to help vaporize the stuff they called gasoline back then. If you follow the flow it runs through the head and makes a u-turn through the block.

Scott

20180516_114736.jpg.7b3708ba6ceba7c1db1903158b67b806.jpgDSC06874.JPG.101641538d43b4ec9c3345420f958d48.JPGDSC06875.JPG.a63d8bcc5d6aa2dd636c3a88db8660b0.JPG

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 5