Hydraulic brake conversion/ Front disks

neonsnail657

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so hi to everyone!

I'm in the middle of restoring my 38 4door sedan and currently looking at my options for brakes.

Decided I'm going to be converting to a hydraulic setup due to better performance/ lack of parts.  I found backing plates to convert the rear which is pretty straight forward. I will need new spindles to convert the front axle so I'm leaning towards running a disk setup up front.  I've seen 41 ford passenger spindles used which can accept disk brake kits.  My question is regarding the king pins and if there are any alignment issues.  If anyone has converted the front axle to disks; whats your setup and experience? 

• 2 weeks later...

Speedway motors has a complete kit for 5 1/2 bolt circle disk conversion.  They provide a custom plate that bolts to spindle and mounts chevy calipers with Ford truck disks.  You need to sweat on an inner bearing race, and replace the outer bearing on the Ford disks.  You'll also want a dual diaphram power disk break master cylinder with a remote fill setup.  If keeping the stock pedal assembly, need to fab an adapter plate ahead of the power brake unit.  Also need a2 lb residual valve in the front circuit to keep the calipers next to the disks.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that you would be better off using 39-41 Lincoln spindles. The Ford spindles use a different king pin and bushings, so they would most likely not match up with your axle. You might have to modify the frame to get a dual master cylinder and pedal assembly to work.

The Boling Brothers supply parts to convert Ford brakes and may be able to help you with your Lincoln brakes.

https://www.bolingbrothers.com/about-contact-us/

• 2 weeks later...