1927 dodge touring car - need help getting it started. Florida.

Larry b

17 hours ago, Larry b said:

I changed the oil filled the radiator cleaned the points but it still won’t start

Do you have a spark at the points?  When you do get it running the shift pattern is different.  1st left up, 2nd right down, 3rd right up, reverse left down.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1927 dodge touring car - need help getting it started. Florida.

If you need help on this forum you need to give us more information  about the car. Is it a four cylinder to start with and the voltage system . 6 volts ? 12 volts? Make sure the base plate in the distributor is grounded. This is usually done with a fine flexible wire on one end grounded to the plate and the other end to the distributor frame. disconnect the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor and use a jumper from the battery to the in of the distributor and use a test lite to check for fire at the points . If no fire then check for grounding at the insulator at the distributor. If fire checks good in the distributor then

check backwards. Wire coming into the coil and going out to the distributor. Check wire from the ignition switch to the coil. Check wire from amater to ignition switch. Normally cars sitting for long, the connections get corroded. So clean and reconnect . Is the engine cranking vigorously ? Check all grounds, remove , clean and reconnect.

My advice sounds oversimplistic. But since you said you are a newbi I thought it may be a nice start and help.You did not say if you checked for gas at the carb . Carb should be cleaned. But first you must deal with the ignition .I hope this will help.

Harry

I replaced the gaskets on the vacuum tank cover. It is installed and the vacuum line is in place. I use a piece of flexible hose connected to the "in" of the vacuum tank and the other end into a plastic gas tank. I use a generous piece of rag to block the mouth of the gas can and bow  compressed air into the can. That will push the gas into the vacuum tank . Works for me every time. Once the engine starts and keeps running the vaccum tank will suck the gas out of the gas can.