1930s Buick Special floor shifter (and Pontiac, and Olds, etc)

Bloo

Does an exploded view of the 1930s Buick Special floor shifter exist? This design was also used in a bunch of Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. The shift tower is only about an inch or inch and a half high.

Like this:

20200714_173152.jpg.a3a3a11f61dc1f47faff

I slipped as I was taking mine apart on the Pontiac today and parts went everywhere. It needed work anyway as it was kind of loose. I need to see what all is missing (or not). Pontiac did not illustrate it in the shop manual or in the master parts book. Did Buick do any better?

Thanks.

Bloo, here is a picture of the parts kit i have for a `36 Buick, 8 pieces total. I haven`t seen a complete kit in years. There are some listings on ebay for the individual pieces. The fulcrum piece is the piece that wears out(sloppy/looseness), and the 2 torsion springs. Wohlert 5005, is the kit i have.

DSCN5853.JPG

• Like 1

Ok so the little springs on the bottom push out and hold the whole thing in. Are those 2 wire springs at the top of the picture identical? What do they do?

It looks like one end hooks in a notch in the fulcrum, is that right? What happens to the other end?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

It looks like I have everything except one small spring and one small cup. These parts are all totally shot.

How do the big wire springs go in? Is the difficult-to-squeeze end up or down with relation to the ground?

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Ok so the little springs on the bottom push out and hold the whole thing in. Are those 2 wire springs at the top of the picture identical? What do they do?

It looks like one end hooks in a notch in the fulcrum, is that right? What happens to the other end?

Yes, the hooked end will fit in to the bottom notch of each fulcrum, the other end pushes against the each side of the lower stick. With the buttons and small coil springs all wrapped around the shaft it will compress and slip in. The fulcrums straddle the lower shaft at the pin, is your pin worn? The wear is usually to the fulcrum, this is where the sloppy stick comes from, do your fulcrums show wear at this point. There is also another spring that slips over the tip-end of the shift stick, do you have this spring?   You should be able to use a C-clamp to compress the fulcrums to slide in the trans top. Don`t forget to use some lube.  There are parts/pieces listed on ebay.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

I had the fun experience of having one of the springs end up inside the trans. I had to disassemble the trans to get it out. Fortunately that was before the rear end was in.

GAH!!

26 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Yes, the hooked end will fit in to the bottom notch of each fulcrum, the other end pushes against the each side of the lower stick. With the buttons and small coil springs all wrapped around the shaft it will compress and slip in. The fulcrums straddle the lower shaft at the pin, is your pin worn? The wear is usually to the fulcrum, this is where the sloppy stick comes from, do your fulcrums show wear at this point. There is also another spring that slips over the tip-end of the shift stick, do you have this spring?   You should be able to use a C-clamp to compress the fulcrums to slide in the trans top. Don`t forget to use some lube.  There are parts/pieces listed on ebay.

Yes, I have the spring and washer that goes under the stick. I think the stick is OK but not sure. For today I just want to get it back together, I only took it apart to install a floor mat, although I also viewed it as a fact finding mission. It is clear to me I will need to acquire new fulcrums and springs, they're shot. There is literally about 1/4" of wear. I have not investigated the bottom of the stick's fit inside the transmission yet.

I found the rest of the parts (whew!).

You are supposed to orient the notch with the spring end in it down then? Judging from the wear marks mine was installed with the spring ends up. If it was wrong it wouldn't surprise me, I have found plenty of old repairs on this car that were not quite right.