36 dodge tubes, flaps, and and rim strips info needed.

36humpback

I put this in the Dodge Truck section but haven't had any replies yet, so thought I would try here.

I'm to the point of ordering tires and tubes for my panel. I'm looking at Coker classic 16".  My problem/questions are which specific tube (location of valve stem) do I order, do I order ones with tr 13 or tr 15 stems? Are rim strips and tube flaps necessary?  I do want to get rim strips, but don't know if I need tube flaps.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

You're most likely looking for 600/650x 16 tires and tubes. I recommend the Goodyear tires as they look period correct. They come from Lucas Tire which is also owned by the Coker company. I think the T15 stem is a standard rubber offset stem. Lucas only showed 1 tube in that size. I don't think that those drop center rims require a rim strip, I've never used one, and I believe that the strip is to cover the welds on spoked wheels so they don't rub through the tube. Again, I've not used any, and I don't think that you'll need those with those style wheels, but I'm no expert. On my Model A, I just ran some duct tape around the center to cover the spoke ends and it worked fine for as long as I had the car. Caution, there has been some talk about really cheap and lousy tubes lately, so make sure that there is some guarantee on them when you purchase. Ask questions, I'm sure the tire folks will have some answers for you. 

6 hours ago, jpage said:

You're most likely looking for 600/650x 16 tires and tubes. I recommend the Goodyear tires as they look period correct. They come from Lucas Tire which is also owned by the Coker company. I think the T15 stem is a standard rubber offset stem. Lucas only showed 1 tube in that size. I don't think that those drop center rims require a rim strip, I've never used one, and I believe that the strip is to cover the welds on spoked wheels so they don't rub through the tube. Again, I've not used any, and I don't think that you'll need those with those style wheels, but I'm no expert. On my Model A, I just ran some duct tape around the center to cover the spoke ends and it worked fine for as long as I had the car. Caution, there has been some talk about really cheap and lousy tubes lately, so make sure that there is some guarantee on them when you purchase. Ask questions, I'm sure the tire folks will have some answers for you. 

thank you for your insight and information.

A TR-15 stem is larger at the base than a TR-13, and needs a bigger hole in the wheel. There is about a 99 percent chance you need TR-15. Measure the hole if there is any doubt. 0.65" for TR-15 and 0.46" for TR-13. Probably any tubes offered for 600/650-16 will have offset stems.

https://www.stlwholesale.com/pageimages/download_docs/STLWT_TUBE_VALVE_SPECS_SHEET.pdf

If you have steel drop center rims, not wire wheels, not rims with locking rings, and not rims with any other sort of split or removable parts, then rim strips or flaps should be completely unnecessary. RIm strips are generally for wire wheels. Flaps are generally used on rims with a split or multiple parts, and are also sometimes used on clincher style tires. A 600/650-16 is not a clincher tire.

The inside of the rim should be clean and smooth. Rust will chafe at the tube and possibly pop it.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, Bloo said:

A TR-15 stem is larger at the base than a TR-13, and needs a bigger hole in the wheel. There is about a 99 percent chance you need TR-15. Measure the hole if there is any doubt. 0.65" for TR-15 and 0.46" for TR-13. Probably any tubes offered for 600/650-16 will have offset stems.

https://www.stlwholesale.com/pageimages/download_docs/STLWT_TUBE_VALVE_SPECS_SHEET.pdf

If you have steel drop center rims, not wire wheels, not rims with locking rings, and not rims with any other sort of split or removable parts, then rim strips or flaps should be completely unnecessary. RIm strips are generally for wire wheels. Flaps are generally used on rims with a split or multiple parts, and are also sometimes used on clincher style tires. A 600/650-16 is not a clincher tire.

The inside of the rim should be clean and smooth. Rust will chafe at the tube and possibly pop it.

I have steel drop center rims.  Any ideas or thoughts on durability of coker bias ply tires?