1960 fuel hose clamp

avgwarhawk

Might look in the Buick factory service manual for that model year?  Pictures of the fuel lines/system?

I'm suspecting they are the spring-loaded bands or Corbin-style clamps rather than the worm/screw type?

Just some thoughts,

CBODY67

• Like 1

22 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I also was able to confirm castle clamps on the radiation hoses.

Hmmm, I think that Corbin clamps were also used on the radiator & heater hoses in 1960.  I believe the 'castle' (or 'tower') style clamps weren't used until about 1965.  I was looking for OEM-style clamps for my '64 GP and that's what I discovered.  That said, I'm considering using the 'tower' style anyway as I worry about the ability of the currently available Corbin-style clamps to seal without leaking without replacing all of my hoses.  I have a friend with a 1960 Catalina who did make the switch and so far, no leaks...

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmm, I think that Corbin clamps were also used on the radiator & heater hoses in 1960.  I believe the 'castle' (or 'tower') style clamps weren't used until about 1965.  I was looking for OEM-style clamps for my '64 GP and that's what I discovered.  That said, I'm considering using the 'tower' style anyway as I worry about the ability of the currently available Corbin-style clamps to seal without leaking without replacing all of my hoses.  I have a friend with a 1960 Catalina who did make the switch and so far, no leaks...

Click this link to another forum discussion on hose clamps.  The picture from a Motor Trend article shows castle clamp at the thermostat hose end. Corbin wire style clamp at the fuel filter inlet. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Interesting - thanks for the link.  I see what you're saying with the clamp at the thermostat housing, but look at the clamp at the radiator end of that hose.  It's hard to be sure, but it almost looks like a flat, Corbin-style spring clamp to me.

516---38-Fuel-Hose-Clamp.jpg

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Interesting - thanks for the link.  I see what you're saying with the clamp at the thermostat housing, but look at the clamp at the radiator end of that hose.  It's hard to be sure, but it almost looks like a flat, Corbin-style spring clamp to me.

516---38-Fuel-Hose-Clamp.jpg

I see that however I believe the castle clamp at the radiator is off to the side. 9 o'clock position as you face the radiator. It does not provide a clean look if at the 12 o'clock position.  I have placed mine at the 9 o'clock position. The Corbin clamp you have pictured I can't find that style in any pictures. These are more modern I believe.  I do find the wire type Corbin clamps for all hose application of that era.  Mostly Chevy heater hoses. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1