23 starter generator

Dj59

We just recently acquired a 23 6-48 coupe. And have had a 22 6-54 roadster for a couple years. The 22 when the ignition is turned on you can hear the started generator motoring before you start the car, as you can on our 24 Cadillac. But the 23 coupe it does not motor when ignition is on and doesn’t appear to be charging. Starts the car fine.  Any ideas before I dig into it? Pictures of both cars attached. 

7388DC8F-D024-4A94-A95C-C72274CBA42B.png

B5951545-B81C-46AB-842B-01CFB65D187F.jpeg

32830B99-C63E-4ACA-9595-48881A16B626.jpeg

Edited by Dj59 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

DJ, 

Most likely the problem is in the ignition switch.  It probably needs to be rebuilt.  Try using a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end.  When you turn on the ignition switch, connect the wire between the ammeter post and the #2 post on the ignition switch.  This should start the generator motoring.  You could also check post #2 on the ignition switch with a volt meter.  You should have 6 volts when the ignition switch is on.  If the SG won't motor, the generator won't charge either.  You could have worn out generator brushes also.  

As if electrical wiring isn't confusing enough, I also have it in Dutch .   Everyone says it is a foreign language anyway.  

Hugh

1571403149_1923WiringDiagram-FromLeif.jpg.2fcea739d49edeb72c017f28c88d5749.jpg1299151153_1923-24ignition2.jpeg.851c5b0fcc95b8ae510a3e66b9088ec9.jpeg    

11 minutes ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

DJ, 

Most likely the problem is in the ignition switch.  It probably needs to be rebuilt.  Try using a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end.  When you turn on the ignition switch, connect the wire between the ammeter post and the #2 post on the ignition switch.  This should start the generator motoring.  You could also check post #2 on the ignition switch with a volt meter.  You should have 6 volts when the ignition switch is on.  If the SG won't motor, the generator won't charge either.  You could have worn out generator brushes also.  

As if electrical wiring isn't confusing enough, I also have it in Dutch .   Everyone says it is a foreign language anyway.  

Hugh

1571403149_1923WiringDiagram-FromLeif.jpg.2fcea739d49edeb72c017f28c88d5749.jpg1299151153_1923-24ignition2.jpeg.851c5b0fcc95b8ae510a3e66b9088ec9.jpeg    

That makes sense. As I feel I may have an issue with my switch anyway. When lights are turned on the circuit breaker buzzes. I’m getting the idea I may need to go through the wiring. The car is done extremely nice but has always been a show car so it has a few bugs to work out. Thanks for the info!

Hugh and Dj59,

There was a very noticeable change with the 1923 Buick Starter/Generator unit.  The 'clicking' sound during the 'motoring' phase went away.  They became silent from then on.  I was hoping that Brian Heil would have jumped in here and explained.  He is our resident 1923 Buicks expert.  Knowing that car as I do, I'd bet my last dollar that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

18 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Hugh and Dj59,

There was a very noticeable change with the 1923 Buick Starter/Generator unit.  The 'clicking' sound during the 'motoring' phase went away.  They became silent from then on.  I was hoping that Brian Heil would have jumped in here and explained.  He is our resident 1923 Buicks expert.  Knowing that car as I do, I'd bet my last dollar that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Thanks terry 

it has a few issues that need ironed out but aside from that it should end up

being a very nice driver. 

I'm here, been on vacation.

Correct, silent clutch new for 1923, no sprag to click

Does it charge when running is first question?

Most often when there is an issue with no motoring, it is a problem with the charging brushes or dirty commutator.   And as such it won't motor nor will it charge, hence my question.

If not charging when running also, push down on the brushes with a pencil or similar device to increase brush contact pressure and note change in charging rate if any.  If it increases, you have worn brushes that are too short to allow the spring to apply enough pressure or dirty commutator.

If no change, check for dirty contacts on the back of the combination switch as noted above.

Commutator and switch contact points should all be bright.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Brian_Heil said:

I'm here, been on vacation.

Correct, silent clutch new for 1923, no sprag to click

Does it charge when running is first question?

Most often when there is an issue with no motoring, it is a problem with the charging brushes or dirty commutator.   And as such it won't motor nor will it charge, hence my question.

If not charging when running also, push down on the brushes with a pencil or similar device to increase brush contact pressure and note change in charging rate if any.  If it increases, you have worn brushes that are too short to allow the spring to apply enough pressure or dirty commutator.

If no change, check for dirty contacts on the back of the combination switch as noted above.

Commutator and switch contact points should all be bright.

Thanks Brian. 
I will do some digging tonight. I do know my amp gauge is not hooked up

correctly and I have something else going on with my light switch. I’m thinking I need to

go through all the wiring before I dig much deeper.