Anyone exporting parts or literature to the EU. Here is a short cut to get the right Harmonization codes/ number.

I just spent a bunch of time looking for the correct code to ship some literature to Belgium which is part of the EU.  Seems they now require a Harmonization number to be able to ship.  I had heard of the change coming but today it seems to be in effect.  

I found this short list with codes for 100 different car parts, I could see a site member possibly needing.  It's alot easier to understand than going directly to the Site recommended as there are a ton of subcategories that make it quite confusing.  (real surprise there when dealing with any Govt.) 

Here is a link to the list 

https://www.customslegaloffice.com/global/how-to-classify-vehicles-parts-under-hscode/

I searched for "vintage" and "antique" and found no results. Years ago I was active in sending collector cars and parts to Sweden. As a rule they were exempt from tariff and VAT fees because the collectible, antique, or vintage were not in competition with EU manufacturers or businesses. Otherwise I would have been shipping Chevy pickups over by the literal boatload.

It seems like more digging should uncover a similar exemption for the hobbyist items. It has been a couple of years since I sent items out of the US but with the plaque wrapping up I may get back into parting some collector cars and figure it all out.

Thanks for the post. I will get communications going with my connection. Sure would be nice to send them a few Chevy trucks. But even a few Oldsmobile parts would be fine.

I think they just starting taxing almost everything.  Especially over the last year they had to find a way to pick up on the short fall in revenue,  they forced upon the world. Who would have thought that when you shutter most businesses you will have a shortfall in tax revenue.   I had read on one of the Ebay updates at some point that they were going to start collecting the tax up front when they pay for the item,  or something like that.  I think ebay may provide the number,  but since my buyer pays directly through pay pal,  I had to find the correct number. 

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I think they just starting taxing almost everything.  Especially over the last year they had to find a way to pick up on the short fall in revenue,  they forced upon the world. Who would have thought that when you shutter most businesses you will have a shortfall in tax revenue.   I had read on one of the Ebay updates at some point that they were going to start collecting the tax up front when they pay for the item,  or something like that.  I think ebay may provide the number,  but since my buyer pays directly through pay pal,  I had to find the correct number. 

We've had that in place for a couple of years to Australia, it's the dumbest inefficient tax. It used to be a $1000 threshold because that's what was the break even point for collection, until we had the owner of a electronics chain lobby the government that it should apply to everything so he could flog $40 phone charger cables