O ringing lifters

Just about to start reassembling my ‘23 Dodge engine after new sleeves, bores, pistons etc. I noticed when installing the lifters in the block that there is nothing to stop sump oil weeping out over time around them. They are just dropped in the hole and clamped down. I see there is a groove from the factory machined into the lifters just under the surface where they fit in the block. There is plenty of material in this area so I am thinking of increasing the depth of the groove and fitting O rings to seal them from the sump oil. This won’t interfere with the clamping area of the lifters. There19C73EA0-DFAD-4FAA-896E-6F098C7903BC.jpeg.8ea73b4e2e5cc43d84888e634dcff772.jpeg will still be oil on the shafts lubricating them but this should cut down on some leaks.

Hi John,

I would suggest that the oil leakage past the lifter holder would be negligible if at all, the top is clamped down so I would suggest the extra work is completely unnecessary but if you are concerned about all that oil escaping then perhaps a thin aluminium crush washer would be a cheaper and easier option?

I don't see a lot of oil coming out between the block and guides on my well worn 21 engine. I think the groove is there for oil control.