Rear bumper correction 1965 Riviera

kreed

The bumper on my 65 restoration project will not fit after two attempts by the chrome shop. They have no data or patterns to go by for this old of a car . Suspect it was hit right in the middle at one time and splayed out each end . Comparing it to my “good fitting “ 65 , the center angle is off about 2-3 degrees at the dead center but obviously that translates into a big gap by the time you get to the corner wrap around . Have tried to find a good no-hit core but hard to find one that does not serious issues . Trying to figure out a way to correct it myself before sending back for replating (which I am sure it will need and they will do it for free !) after pressing or banging it back to fit . This metal is obviously not the  thin stuff on modern cars of today and will take some serious work . Would it require a large heavy press of some sort attached in the middle  and pulling down on each side ? Or removal of a small piece of metal in the center to allow it to bend a couple of degrees ? Looked online and all repairs are pulling outward rather  than bending inward . Don’t think it possible in my shop to beat it down with 4x4 and sledge hammer . Suggestions appreciated . Thanks 

KReed 

ROA 14549

C20405DA-EB4D-4B4F-AC9A-690477643DB1.jpeg

A3FEF292-D3FD-43F1-BE5A-94E5744F557B.jpeg

That’s a good thought but Garon has it dialed in so perfectly I hate to move it ! Even considered taking it off and trying it on the project car to make sure it wasn’t something in my frame and body although it looks pretty good and the frame wasn’t bent at all when I took it apart . Suspect these bumpers take a beating over the years with jacking them up incorrectly . If I could only put this darn thing over my knee and bend it down!  How’s your back and knee ? Willing to pay all doctor fees 😀 or if I could put the middle up on a 4x4 and then have a couple 400 lb guys hanging off each end , it might move ! 🥋

KReed

ROA 14549

45 minutes ago, kreed said:

That’s a good thought but Garon has it dialed in so perfectly I hate to move it ! Even considered taking it off and trying it on the project car to make sure it wasn’t something in my frame and body although it looks pretty good and the frame wasn’t bent at all when I took it apart . Suspect these bumpers take a beating over the years with jacking them up incorrectly . If I could only put this darn thing over my knee and bend it down!  How’s your back and knee ? Willing to pay all doctor fees 😀 or if I could put the middle up on a 4x4 and then have a couple 400 lb guys hanging off each end , it might move ! 🥋

KReed

ROA 14549

Hi Ken,

So I`m assuming you dont have a shop press? I would expect a bumper shop might use heat along the upper bar to encourage controlled bending...pretty beefy....but I`m not a bumper expert.

I know its hard to start taking a "done" car apart but it sounds like you have a good example and also have the opportunity to mock it up on your car to be sure it will fit. If you decide to do so, grab a couple of warm bodies, put a couple of heavily padded socks around the bumper ends and mark and proceed with surgical precision!

Tom

• Like 1

Hello, hope you repaired it   ok now,, if this ever happens again, this is how to re straighten.

Sorry i was a bit late replying to help you, 

This is a true story--you may not believe,but it is,

Its a kiwi trick that some  top panel beaters in New Zealand use for years now.

You find a big tree with double trunk ,branches about 2---to 4 ft apart, place the bumper in between the  2 branches,

so that your bumper is placed near the center, before bending the exposed end

and use a car or ute to pull the exposed end about  around about a few inches , pulling about i foot gives you about  2or3 inches.

You dont even have to cover the bumper wear it meets the tree, as the tree is softer than the metal and gives a little.

15 hours ago, kreed said:

Think I figured it out . Cut a 1/16inch slot on top of bumper and pulled it together with a ratchet strap  - came out pretty good . Back to the chrome shop !

KReed

ROA 14549

Great idea Ken! Did you cut a slot in the lower bumper also? If not, how did the lower bumper react?

Tom

20 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Hello, hope you repaired it   ok now,, if this ever happens again, this is how to re straighten.

Sorry i was a bit late replying to help you, 

This is a true story--you may not believe,but it is,

Its a kiwi trick that some  top panel beaters in New Zealand use for years now.

You find a big tree with double trunk ,branches about 2---to 4 ft apart, place the bumper in between the  2 branches,

so that your bumper is placed near the center, before bending the exposed end

and use a car or ute to pull the exposed end about  around about a few inches , pulling about i foot gives you about  2or3 inches.

You dont even have to cover the bumper wear it meets the tree, as the tree is softer than the metal and gives a little.

Thanks Wayne - will certainly keep that little trick in mind but I am sincerely hoping there is NEVER a next time.I’m done restoring cars after this one ! 😀

KReed

ROA 14549

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Great idea Ken! Did you cut a slot in the lower bumper also? If not, how did the lower bumper react?

Tom

Did not have to cut a slot in the lower portion although though I might have to when I started . It doesn’t have that “ upper lip “ like the top section and it did not deform at all . It was amazing how three passes with the cut off saw gave me a food two inches out on the end . That being said it’s not perfect but will be OK I think . I’m gonna weld it up , grind it down and put in back on the car again before sending for replating . 
KReed

ROA 14549.

• Like 2