1930 Chrysler 66 shocks

914bren

My straps on my car shocks are all broken.  Can you reattach some sort of material.  What material?  Shocks may be frozen how should I free up?  Do you pull the arms all the way down and re attach?  Any advise would be appreciated.  Thanks

914bren,  Hi, I can supply you with the shock strapping for you 30 Chrysler,  strapping is $15.00 per ft  

Andy's Garage    302-245-7276    andygarage@comcast.net  www,wiseandysgarage.com

It is usually possible to rebuild those shocks although with them being frozen you will probably have to disassemble to make sure.  They are hydraulic and are probably frozen because they ran out of fluid and kept being used.  Most of the time you need to install new gaskets and new seals where the shock levers come out of the unit.  I am assuming your shocks are Delco.  Modern jack fluid is good to fill them with.  I believe that several years ago I posted an article about rebuilding some old Studabaker  shocks that were similar enough to be of use when rebuilding other Delco shocks.  I will try to find it tomorrow or you can search for it yourself.

McMaster Carr. Sells suitable material also. Thinner but stronger.

Original material is 3/16" thick.

Some widths like 1_1/2" are hard to find in that thickness and in DARK color.

For a while some suppliers were stitching 2 thickness of the available material  together to gain the thickness. Hum?  

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)