38 State Commander Key question

I don’t have the trunk, door or glove box key for my 38 State Commander. Does anyone know if the glove box key would be the same as the door and trunk key?  The glove box seems to be the easiest to remove and take to a locksmith to have one made. If they are the same it makes life easier than taking door or trunk apart. If not the same more work and may not be worth doing. I have no idea how hard/easy the trunk or door would be to do. 
Thanks for any help 

dave s 

Key p/n 290635 fits the glove box and trunk lid for 5A-12A, G to 5G, and 3C to 8C cars.  This should be a Yale lock, key blank 9278, ILCO O1122A, Curtis Y12.  The door lock key for 5A-12A and 3C to 8C cars is p/n 525809, according to the Body Parts Catalog.  The door lock key blank is Yale XT246, ILCO X1199AR, or Curtis Y133.  The glove box and door key blanks were used by Studebaker through 1963.  The ignition key has p/n 190103 for 5A-12A, 3C to 8C, and J5, K5, and L5 cars.  I guess I'm surprised that a car like your 8A State Commander would need 3 keys.  So, yes, you can take the glove box lock in and get keys made for it and the trunk lid.  With a little luck, you might see a key code on the lock body when you remove it that can be used to cut the keys.  Maybe the Studebaker Museum can sell you a build sheet for your car that could have the key codes on it.  Then, your locksmith just needs access to the look-up book that tells him how to cut the keys using the codes.  

The door lock will come out if you can take off the inside panel and reach in to the clip that holds the lock.  The clip slides into a groove in the lock body, should come loose by sliding it upwards.  Not always easy to see or reach.  Maybe stick your iPhone into the door and take a flash photo so you can see what you're dealing with.  There should be a key code on the this lock body, too.  Here's a lock drawing from my M5 truck parts book, shows how the clip works.

lock.gif.014400d32fec5e7be0370c2bcfafef69.giflock_face.jpg.2151959906bb53206309e76ed30123c8.jpg

Lock drawing from M5 parts book and M5 door lock showing groove.  Your 8A lock should be similar.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Gary & Robert. I have the production order from the museum and will check it out. If the numbers on on there I will PM you Robert. Thanks again. 
I’ll let you all know what I find. 
dave s 

Gary the build sheet shows 2 keys. It doesn’t tell me which is which but the locksmith should know with luck. You’re the second person to say three keys per the body parts catalog. The parts manual only list one for the ignition and the trunk part number as that book doesn’t cover the doors or the glove box. Other people say two keys that’s why I was asking. Never thought of the build sheet. 
Robert I sent a PM 

Thanks

dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Great idea, already checked the local hardware to see if they have them. Going tomorrow to get them!  Robert is also checking to see if he has the keys at the warehouse Monday. So should be in good shape either way. Thanks Gary