1939 Pontiac Silver streak head tightening sequence

openslather

Welcome! I have seen this somewhere, but cannot find it right now. That is pretty far back in years for torque wrenches. You may just have to pick a slightly newer Pontiac to get a good guess for the torque spec. I know I have seen the tightening pattern though.

EDIT: 60 FT/LB, diagram 174. https://drivcat.com/livedocs/99999.pdf

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks for your reply Bloo. I’ve only just bought the Pontiac and want to try do things the right way. I think 60 FT/LB is correct and the same for both the 6 and 8, it’s the tightening pattern that I can’t find out about, I’ve searched the net high and low to no avail. Not a major problem, I’ll get there. 

Done. Thanks again. See if I can get it out to get it up to normal running temp and retighten the head to spec.

The old beast (original flat 6) did 560 miles (just over 900 kms) in 2 days to drive it home from South Australia to Victoria here in Australia. No problems. 

• Like 2

If you don't have a diagram always start in the center and work evenly out to the ends. Dont tighten one to spec when others are loose,  do it in about 3 stages.  Works on anything.

• Like 3