34 Cadillac ignition switch positions

57wayne

I am installing the new wiring harness on the dash for my 34 Cadillac. Ignition switch has three positions at 12:00, 10:00 and 8:00. Seems 10:00 is "off". What are the other positions? ( It has never run while I have had it so my personal knowledge is limited by that. The old wiring was all messed up as well. )
I am not sure it is the original switch. One wire, red, goes to "BAT". Black goes to one of the open screws  and I believe a wire to the ignition coil goes from the other open screw. That wire is not part of the harness, I guess.
Thanks

Edited by 57wayne (see edit history)

Ok...let me reply to my own question. The ignition switch is not original. It would have had an armored cable integral with the switch, containing the wire to the coil. A listing on ebay currently has an assortment of switches with the cable. I couldn't copy the photo on my phone to post it. There are two terminals otherwise on the back of the switch. One is power in, and the other is power out to the starter switch. The third position on the switch that is currently in my car is unused. It would have been the accessory position on a later car. The third terminal is for the coil power wire. 12:00 is "on", 10:00 is "off" and is where the key can be removed. 8:00 is unused and will confuse the crap out of someone else someday. I could rotate the switch and have 10/12/2 positions with 12 as off and 2 as run. That is probably how it was intended! 

Thanks for rreading.

In the future, if you have thoughts on a solution, please share them. The way knowledge is passed is by sharing your experience. Some times it is just the conversation that sparks the "oh yeah!" For me, it was the ebay ad showing the switch with the cable. I saw it on my schematic, but never saw one before! My 32 Nash is not like that. Stay Well!

31 minutes ago, 57wayne said:

12:00 is "on", 10:00 is "off" and is where the key can be removed. 8:00 is unused and will confuse the crap out of someone else someday. I could rotate the switch and have 10/12/2 positions with 12 as off and 2 as run.

That is the best way IMO.  Less confusing. 

I have a basket case 34 LaS and no idea if I have the stock armored cable switch.  I had a 35 parts car with one but sold that 35 and never kept the switch,  maybe I saw it was different than 34, as the 35 dash is way different.

I also have a 32 Nash, so I know what you mean about the ign switch is way different than the 34 Cad/LaS

22 hours ago, 57wayne said:

@F&J, do you have the biplane bumpers for your 34 LaSalle?

yes, I do, but they are not assembled yet. I bought as many loose bumper parts that I could find, and now have 4 decent blades, extra bent ones, and spare bullets, etc.   I also bought some bumper parts by mistake for 34 Cad because I did not know they were different then.

If I ever get back to that last project car here, I will be able to see what I need to save, and then sell the rest.  It's all piled in random boxes and nothing is inventoried.

One last thing I found on ebay 3 years ago was a pair of the optional folding rear luggage rack brackets that clamp to the bumper tubes.  The seller listed them for months and nobody bought them and he finally cut the price to a very low "Buy It Now".  I will never be able to find the removable flat rack as these were stored in the car when not in use.  But I like the Art Deco look of them when folded inwards.

When you get around to figuring out what you have for the 34 Caddy, let me know. I have a full set of reproduced steel, unplated and undrilled, bumper blades. A gentleman in CT had them done for his 34 LaSalles. Never told anyone who did them, and then he was gone.  I have a bunch of the other parts to put it together but probably missing something.

Have the 35 style bumpers on the car now, as bought.

Thanks Oldtech. I figured that would make more sense. The big trick is that there is no accessory path and it's the wrong switch. After figuring that out and what the original switch looked like, it became more apparent that the 10/12/2 orientation would be least confusing. Again, thanks!