`35-`36 Pontiac part confirmation

pont35cpe

30 minutes ago, Bloo said:

What is a tail pan?

I have a 1937 master parts catalog, I might be able to look it up.

It`s the panel(?) attached to the body just in front of the rear bumper, bumper brackets pass thru it. Piece attaches to the back fenders, and is also attached to the body down below the the deck lid.

Unfortunately the exploded views do not index it. The only good possibility I see is this:

Group 12.937     4061733    SILL, REAR END  (1935-36 All)

Just looked and Chevrolet's exploded view, and they were using Group 12.966 for a panel down in that position. Crossing makes like that to find group numbers only works some of the time. Group 12.966 in Pontiac says:

PANEL, REAR END

4061817  (1935-36 sedans except touring)

4061818   1935-36 touring sedans

I think probably that is exactly what it sounds like in Pontiac, the back of the sedan. No models except sedans are listed, and a coupe or cabriolet would have no panel back there, only the quarter panels.

I think "SILL, REAR END" has to be it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Bloo, here is a picture of a coupe panel. I have a coupe, convertible,  and a 2 dr sedan slantback, this panel is removable on all three bodies and they look to be the same. I also have a 4dr sedan humpback, panel is removable but looks to have a flatter vertical surface, the other 3 have a rounded vertical surface.  Your `36 Pontiac has this type of panel on the rear, i think the 2and4dr humpbacks use the same panel.. A fellow AACA member Jermaine has a `36 Pontiac 4dr humpback, he needs a lower rear panel.  That`s why the question as to if the panels on the `35 and`36 are the same. The `36 has wider rear fenders at the back, and a wider in length bumper from than the `35, but seam where fender and panel meet looks to be in the same location. Would you know any one who might have a good panel to sell, from a `36 2or4dr sedan humpback?

DSCN5780.JPG

Overall width 46 inches from fender to fender.

Top to bottom 7 inches, measured with the tape hooked at the seam between the tail panel and the body, tape wrapped around the bottom to the edge, at the center of the panel.

3 bolts each end.

9(!) bolts across the top to the body. Did you by any chance miss one at each end? It's tucked up high.

f9JSuKC.jpg

bmNE9Xw.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks Bloo. Everything measures the same on the `35s, my coupes and the slant back sedans all have 7 bolts at top, my 4dr hump back has 9, it also has the highest production number, so could have been an updated factory change. There looks to be plenty of room to add a bolt in the top corners of the ones with 7 bolts. Appreciate the help.  Tom

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

Yes i think so, measurements match. I think all `35 6and8cyl  use the same rear fenders, not sure about `36. I know the rear of the `36 rear fender is wider probably because tail lights were moved to the fender, also the `36 rear bumper is longer. Thanks again..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...