chrome wheel opening trim

Hi. I would like to put some chrome trim around the wheel openings of my 1989 reatta. Does anyone know who may sell this, and what the cost may be? I am not interested in anything wide or stainless steel. just simple small trim.

different@ureach.com

I certainly would'nt talk you out of dressing up your car, but the quality of the aftermarket wheel opening trim is abysmal. take a look at any '90s Lincoln Town Car, and it will have this same trim...now, get up close and REALLY look at it. it never fits well, it is always off-color, and the supposed rubber "gaskets" are always falling off, as they don't fit well. made this mistake on a new '93 DeVille, and thankfully, they came off as easily as they went on! I think the term "stainless" has a vastly different meaning in the third world countries where this stuff is made.

I'm not interested in dressing the car up. Where I park people often open doors into other cars because the spots are small and tight. I thought it may keep the paint from chipping if it gets hit by a door. If it looks too nasty silver, I'd paint it black to match the car and see how that looks. I'm not talking about big things with rubber behind, just a small trim that goes around, like the 90's chevy trucks have.

I have bought some black matte finished door edge guards for used cars at times that had a little better quality and staying power than the silver junk. I am sure if you find some of those and call the manufacturer on the packaging, they will sell some in bulk lengths or point you to where you can buy in bulk lengths. If you are not to terribly picky you could just piece some of the strips together - should look ok, in fact I just remembered I did exactly that on a VW dune buggy I built that I cut/modified the fenders. None of them will stay on long on the fenders however - you could try some clear silicone adhesive that will come off easily and clean.

HI:

Iwould say no to the trim on the wheel openings! My son and I went to a dealer to check out a '89 red coupe. We test drove it and checked it out completely and made the deal.

While we were doing the paper work they were doing some final things to the

car.

When they brought the car out from the service dept, I looked at it and could not believe what I saw! They had put chrome trim around the wheel openings. I said to my son that they were not there a few minutes ago and we agree that

they looked very bad and he took them of as soon as possible! They were trying to be extra nice to us. they were plastic chrome stick on type.

ART The other Reatta Tec Advisor

Guest RED891

There's a place by Chicago called Tuckers, I beleive that they are in Palatine that's where most of the town car stuff comes from............

• 2 weeks later...

If you go ahead, you had better be doing some serious rust preventative measures around he attachment points or you will have some huge rust blisters in no time at all!