Clutch troubles

Mpgp1999

On the 1925 Multiple disc clutch there are two rattle springs. I am told they just serve the purpose to keep down the noise. I have two problems. First the clutch plates keep wearing with oblong holes. The clutch does not like to release. I have gone through gallons of brake clean. It appears I will most likely have to pull the transmission. What can I do to remedy these problems. 

Myers sells new parts to fix. https://www.myersearlydodge.com/clutch.php

Have you tried adjusting the clutch release link? Could be the release is not being pulled far enough back to fully release the disks. Unless there are grooves worn in the pins that the disks are locking into, the oblong holes should not stop the disks from releasing. If the pins are grooved, Myers sells the new pins too. They have to be pressed out and in. If the pins are anything like the Ford Model T triple gear pins, the area were the disks ride might be smaller then where it is pressed into the flywheel, so you would press out from one side and press in from the other. Need to consult the repair manual or ask Myers to be sure.

If you have a copy of the Mechanics' Instruction Manual, there is a section on clutch adjustment. Things suggested are; warped disk from over heating, pins they slide on need replacing, lack of lube where needed and adjusting the link.

DSCN0854.JPG