Identifying 1928 vs 1929 by eye?

Richard1234

Hi all,

Can you experts tell me, just by looking, if this is a 1928 or 1929 Plymouth?  Q or U?  (Or tell me how best to determine). 

I received it years ago from my father (since passed) and had intended to restore it, but on disassembly the wood turned to dust, lol.  The project was well above my abilities and so it has sat in pieces.  I think its time to advertise the pieces, thus the need to know what exactly it is!

Besides identifying the car, if anybody could throw out a ballpark value for a door, a frame, a motor, I'd appreciate it.  (I'll guess out the rest based on those!).  I suspect the parts will be sold locally (Alberta, Canada) as there is nothing lightweight and as you can see in the picture the car was pretty rough.

Amazing to see that there are still guys interesting in and able to restore such cars!  

Thanks for your help!   

frontview.jpg

Hello,  A 1928 Q and a 1929 U are almost identical in appearance,   The 28 Q used the Maxwell engine and the 29U used the first true Plymouth 4.  Post a picture of your engine so it can be identified.  The engine serial number on both engines  are on the drivers side of the engine on the front  middle side. The 28 Q starts with a Q and the 29U , a U. A car with bad wood is a labor of Love that  most people won't undertake.  USA Plymouth Q's had two groves on the bumper faces and the 29 U one.  The 28 Q used a hex hub cap and the 29 a slightly larger hub cap.  The pictures appear to be a 29 but the engine will tell for sure.  Think Spring,  Don

On 2/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, DFeeney said:

Hello,  A 1928 Q and a 1929 U are almost identical in appearance,   The 28 Q used the Maxwell engine and the 29U used the first true Plymouth 4.  Post a picture of your engine so it can be identified.  The engine serial number on both engines  are on the drivers side of the engine on the front  middle side. The 28 Q starts with a Q and the 29U , a U. A car with bad wood is a labor of Love that  most people won't undertake.  USA Plymouth Q's had two groves on the bumper faces and the 29 U one.  The 28 Q used a hex hub cap and the 29 a slightly larger hub cap.  The pictures appear to be a 29 but the engine will tell for sure.  Think Spring,  Don

I've got the motor in a crate buried under a mountain of junk, lol.  Does the number on the dash tell us anything?  GC346P I believe it says. 

Also, the rad emblem says "Plymouth Made in Canada" under the white sailing boat.  I had no idea they also made them in Canada.  I suppose Plymouth sent up the panels and let us Canadians fell some trees and build the rest of the car, lol.  Perhaps the worlds first "kit car"!!  You supply the wood!

On 2/23/2021 at 11:12 AM, Richard1234 said:

I've got the motor in a crate buried under a mountain of junk, lol.  Does the number on the dash tell us anything?  GC346P I believe it says. 

Also, the rad emblem says "Plymouth Made in Canada" under the white sailing boat.  I had no idea they also made them in Canada.  I suppose Plymouth sent up the panels and let us Canadians fell some trees and build the rest of the car, lol.  Perhaps the worlds first "kit car"!!  You supply the wood!

According to the Plymouth parts book, serial # GC 346 P would've been used near the end of the "U" model run....I'd be interested in the rad emblem if you're parting it out.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, Richard1234 said:

8 minutes ago, Canadian PB Kid said:

According to the Plymouth parts book, serial # GC 346 P would've been used near the end of the "U" model run....I'd be interested in the rad emblem if you're parting it out.

Concur with @Canadian PB Kid, that FedCo serial number is from near the end of the 1929 Model U production for the Windsor, Ontario assembly plant. Here is what I would make out of that number:

Serial Number GC-346-P
Found in range GP-583-W to GC-499-L
Serial 7632 of 9168
Year 1929
Make Plymouth
Model Code U
Plant Windsor
Engine 4 cylinder 170.3 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase 109 3/4 inches
FedCo Number GC-346-P

21 hours ago, ply33 said:

Concur with @Canadian PB Kid, that FedCo serial number is from near the end of the 1929 Model U production for the Windsor, Ontario assembly plant. Here is what I would make out of that number:

Serial Number GC-346-P
Found in range GP-583-W to GC-499-L
Serial 7632 of 9168
Year 1929
Make Plymouth
Model Code U
Plant Windsor
Engine 4 cylinder 170.3 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase 109 3/4 inches
FedCo Number GC-346-P

Excellent, thanks for that.  At least I know what it is now!

I am trying to sell it all complete (though disassembled) locally first ($2500 CAN$ = about $1875 US) but will part it out if nobody wants it.

(I had given up on it as a Hot Rod, so it didn't occur to me that others might be more brave)

Thanks all.