I'm SO confused

Max4Me

A few years back I bought a car that the Dpt. of Motor Vehicles lists as a 1925 Chrysler. However, the ID tag on the firewall identifies it as a "Maxwell-Chrysler" built in Canada. By parsing out the serial# using info from the Chrysler Master Parts List, the car was built in Canada and was the 22nd car off the line. So, I'm guessing it was built early June, 1925-prior to Chrysler rebranding the Maxwells in Canada. There are several pieces on the car that are branded Chrysler, the radiator, the radiator cap/thermostat, and the wheel caps. So, is it a 1925 Maxwell Model 25-C or a 1926 Chrysler F-58? Or?

The car.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

95 Cardinal, 

It is a 4 cylinder. According to its serial number on the firewall it was built in Toronto, Canada, July 1925. It is clearly branded Maxwell/Chrysler. Apparently it is from the last run of Maxwells produced in Canada before Chrysler dropped the Maxwell name completely.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Attached are pictures of my dad’s 1925 Maxwell. Color in pictures has deteriorated over time. Car was a dark blue with black fenders and splash shields.

Thanks g-g-g0! Still a great-looking car. Interesting about the cowl lights. I wonder if they were an option or just added at some point. Was his built in Canada? My understanding was that there were no Maxwell's built in America in 1925. At that time they were shipped as the Chrysler Four. Mine was built in Canada and has a Serial# plate on the firewall indicating it was built in Toronto, Canada. However, the badge on the radiator says "Chrysler Four," but my understanding is that there were no Fours built in Canada until 1926 .Hence a major part of my confusion. From other members we have sort of deduced that it was one of the last Maxwells built in Canada before Chrysler took over and the put it together with whatever named parts they had available. Either that or the previous owner "refreshed/rebuilt" it with whatever parts were available. Whatever the truth (and the car is not telling) it still looks good for 96 years old and I appreciate her for what she is! ("Her" because my daughter named her "Ruby.")

Max

I'm sorry I can’t answer many of your questions. PI am fairly certain that the engine was a Maxwell and also believe the car was a US built car but have nothing to support that. I recall that the coil was a funky looking device that if I recall had a corkscrew wire on the bottom as the coil itself sat flat. It was not a cylindrical coil that has been referenced in one of your other posts. I do remember that his car seemed to “EAT” coils. He had to send it off several times to be rewound/repaired and replacement coils seemed to not be available.  

The cowl lights may have been an option but they were definitely MAXWELL and not aftermarket. The stainless trim ring on the cowl lights were embossed with the same pattern as the headlight trim ring. I know he looked for a LONG time before he found a cowl light trim ring as one was missing when he got the car as a project.

Another difference that I notice between your car and my dad’s car is the radiator shell. Yours appears to be more “rounded” where dad’s has a more squarish appearance at the top. Also note that the emblem on the radiator shell is MAXWELL. 

My dad sold his car in the mid 80’s if I recall and it went to central Illinois. I inquired about it’s whereabouts three or four years ago and it was thought to be deteriorating in a garage where it was parked in the 80’s. I guess the owner fell on hard times, packed up and abandoned his property/possessions and the MAXWELL sets. If true, it is a sad ending as it was my dad’s “pride and joy”!

I am enjoying following you threads. Brings back a lot of memories of my dad and his car.

Gary

Happy New Year, Gary. Such sad news if what you say about your dad"s Maxwell is true. Breaks my heart. Some background about my car:

My first post when joining this forum was trying to figure out the heritage of my car because it has some oddities. It has no Chrysler FEDCO number on the dash. It has a nameplate/serial # on the firewall that says "Maxwell/Chrysler, Made in Toronto, Canada." Its serial # indicates it was made in 1925, which is after Chrysler bought out Maxwell Motors but before Chrysler took over/renamed the Canadian Maxwell manufacturing facility. It has many Maxwell as well as Chrysler parts (like the radiator-the badge clearly says "Chrysler Four"). Several people with whom I've spoken and I conclude that either 1) It was assembled with Chrysler parts when Maxwell parts ran out, 2) Over the previous 90 years before I bought it, it was renovated and the previous owner used Chrysler parts when Maxwell parts were unavailable, or 3) some combination of 1 & 2. As I've said in previous posts, regardless of heritage, it's a beautiful car and I enjoy it immensely.