im just here to introduce my self as a fellow TC owner

just jaah

hello my name is Jaah,

i decided i should introduce myself since i just i just bought a 89 TC and read the forums for any problem i may run into but the car is great, although ive had to do a couple things to the car as the seller lied to me about some aspects... but i was in love w the silhouette and all in all it was a decent car so i bought it for $2200 with minimal issues great interior and 100k miles i just wanna know any advice for not only a new owner but also a person new to working on cars (any tools you can think of that you frequently use, where the heck do i get that 6.0A fuse, how to remove the liner in the trunk to change my tail light bulbs, and ETC) i look forward to learning more about my car and all its quirks!

Hello Jaah, first of all we would need to know ‘which’ engine you have, though most likely an 8 valve 2.2L with an automatic transaxle.

Next, where you live, just the city. There are so many auto parts stores, therefore the city question. Here in rural AZ, I have 2 stores within walking distance.

To reach the tail lamp, you can merely fold the outer ends out a little to reach the bulb sockets and twist them CCW, left. 
As for tools, possibly a complete professional mechanics toolbox full. It all depends on what you have to repair.

Don’t hesitate to ask! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which light is out? Each taillight has 2 bulbs, one for taillamp and one for brake (different # for each one). The reflector on the trunk lid does not have any bulbs. The third brake light (by roof) has multiple bulbs but if all are out it is usually a metal strip problem inside the housing. What takes the 6 amp fuse?

Do a search on this forum for the third light fix. Basically, all bulbs ground through a metal strip which has a riveted ground wire to the harness. The rivet gets loose and all bulbs lose their ground. Access to the bulbs and strip is by taking the whole light off of the tonneau cover (screws under the weatherstrip) and then disassembling from underneath (I think, it HAS been a long time). When I did mine I just added a ground wire from the rivet to a bulb connection and all was well, better to actually replace the rivet for a tight connection. edit....put a towel on trunk lid to keep the 3rd light from scratching paint!

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1