1954 power brake electric vacuum pump

lambert494

I’m hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here  may have recommendations on who can rebuild a 54 power brake electric vacuum pump. I have the moraine morvac pump. They  also used a trico unit in some cars in 54.              Thanks , Brian 

574DD18B-DD35-49B5-B7AE-DBFE3E9C64E3.jpeg

A00C6FE0-2515-4C6C-9EED-CFD170CB0628.jpeg

D3CA250E-7704-4228-A316-DCF43312850C.jpeg

4D581447-3D49-472D-8C84-D064A68936E5.jpeg

1DBB1758-02CF-40F1-90E2-53FC6FEEF7B3.jpeg

15 hours ago, lambert494 said:

I’m hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here  may have recommendations on who can rebuild a 54 power brake electric vacuum pump. I have the moraine morvac pump. They  also used a trico unit in some cars in 54. 

After documented complaints of brake problems early-on with the first-year-for-Buick power brake system, the Trico electric vacuum pump was a first for Buick and came out during the last month of the 1953 Buick production-run on 1953 Buick's with power brakes. Search this forum and it won't take you long to notice all the Buick owners and "re-builders" that still don't fully understand a basic brake system and how to trouble-shoot a problem — let alone a 1950s Buick with power brakes.

Try contacting REAMS AUTO ELECTRIC out of Arlington, Texas @ 817-261-1183. They had a for-sale ad on eBay not that long ago for a rebuilt 1954 Buick Morvac EVP — they might still have it or they could probably rebuild yours. Do everyone on this Forum a favor and report back what you found out as far as what rebuilding services they offer and what the cost would be to rebuild your EVP. Thanx.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Thanks 2

I called the number and it's no longer in service.  They have no website or alternative number. The search continues

I have taken these pumps apart and found corrosion at the brush to armature it causes no contact so the motor will not operate. The Vacuum side on mine was gummed up I cleaned it freed up vanes and the unit worked. After I had it working and new it was worth the time, I had an electrical shop that repairs starters and generators turn the armature and install new brushes. They installed the vacuum part and even tested operation.  With all the pictures here, locate an electrical shop they might do this for you. I might have pictures of mine as I dissembled if needed.

Steve    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Promised pictures 

My computer has been retired and working on a Mac now bit of a learning curve. I have other pictures just need to locate them. These units are not that complex,  save all the parts in some kind of small parts container with dividers as you take it apart look for witness marks and take pictures you can put a few parts in backwards. 

It will have small springs and I recall a ball bearing, I dropped mine and it was where is Waldo hour. I just cleaned the armature enough for a test.

I used paper clips on the brushes to hold them in place when I installed the armature. I drilled a very small hole in the case for the paper clip once the armature was back in I pulled the paper clips out and tested unit.  Once I had it working I then sent it out of new brushes and armature turning. 

Good luck 

Steve 

vac pump 2.jpeg

vac pump 3.jpeg

vac pump1.jpeg

Vacuum pump  installed .jpeg

• Thanks 2

Thanks for all the help. I was able to tear it down and get it running. I’m going to contact a local electric shop about rebuilding the electric motor 

A4B377E0-BC49-420C-9172-94BD8CF889A2.jpeg

BD637834-9BDD-4A37-BF80-E5846A68A48D.jpeg

A64CCE5B-096A-49C7-A45A-CD7BFF7E07B9.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Did all 1954 models with power brakes use an electric vacuum pump. It looks like buick re-designed the power brake cylinder in 1955 and added a vacuum canister from the information I could find. I couldn't find information if any redesign was done on the 54 units to avoid using the electric vacuum pump.

Thanks, Brian

Brian 

From what I have figured out 53 had the vacuum pump added as a product improvement late production could have had them installed at the factory I am unsure on this. 

Here is what I know  from my research for those that wonder about this system. Product service bulletin  talks about a kit that will maintain vacuum for the power brake system when the engine RPM is below 250 normal idle is 450. The generator output or lack of is what trips the relay then the vacuum pump runs and you have vacuum for  power brakes. I am not sure if a campaign in 53 was in force or if this was just an option for the public. I have two early 53 Buicks with  PB and no vacuum pump. I have parted out one 54 and it had the pump. I am not sure if  all  PB cars had this pump in 54. The pumps are not designed to run very long from what little I know.  One thought is generator fails and you drive home the pump will be running wonder how many failed doing this. I have my 53 Chassis up and running and the brake system has been overhauled and works great. The one item that is needed is vacuum the pedal is very hard to press without vacuum. I plan on having the pump  installed and operational on this car.  I am curious about the history of this system, sure I have missed many items.  Vacuum canister sounds pretty simple compared to the pump system.

I am sure Al and others have  more information than I do 

Steve 

• Thanks 1