1950 Chrysler Windsor

I just purchased a 1950 Chrysler Windsor. It will be taken down to the frame and redone. I want to keep the drivetrain the same but upgrade a few things. One thing on the list I want to do is a 6v to 12v conversion. Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or opinions about this for this particular car? Also, is there any premade wiring harnesses available?

Lets start with the easy question premade wiring harness either YNZ yesterday or Rhode Island wiring have factory correct harnesses. 6v to 12v conversions always gets a lot of conversation. WHY DO YOU want to convert? Are there problems that you are having, poor cranking dim lights? These are things that can be corrected without converting. Are you looking to modernize the electrical system? Adding a modern radio, lighting things like that. Converting your car is going to be more expensive and difficult then someone converting a Model A or a Chevy. According to my diagram your wipers are electric, you have separate electric motors for the heater and defroster. You might find your self replacing the factory items with aftermarket items such as Newport wipers or vintage air. Your transmission has some electrical switches and solenoids that finding compatible 12v versions or modern versions might not exist or are hard to come by. There are reducers or resistors available, some work some don't, but if electrical problems are something you do not like to work on you are only adding to the future difficulty of diagnosing them by adding these items.

• Like 3

Thank you for your response! I am looking to upgrade the electrical system in order to have some modern conveniences. Right now, I have the whole car tore down and all the wiring system was pretty well shot. 

I have read that most people who have tried the conversion are successful with exception of the transmission. My thoughts were to add a transformer that allows me 6v.

I don't mind staying 6v, but I just thought I might bring everything up to a modernized state while it is tore down. Plus I want to put a Holley EFI system on it.

54 minutes ago, certjeff1 said:

Lets start with the easy question premade wiring harness either YNZ yesterday or Rhode Island wiring have factory correct harnesses. 6v to 12v conversions always gets a lot of conversation. WHY DO YOU want to convert? Are there problems that you are having, poor cranking dim lights? These are things that can be corrected without converting. Are you looking to modernize the electrical system? Adding a modern radio, lighting things like that. Converting your car is going to be more expensive and difficult then someone converting a Model A or a Chevy. According to my diagram your wipers are electric, you have separate electric motors for the heater and defroster. You might find your self replacing the factory items with aftermarket items such as Newport wipers or vintage air. Your transmission has some electrical switches and solenoids that finding compatible 12v versions or modern versions might not exist or are hard to come by. There are reducers or resistors available, some work some don't, but if electrical problems are something you do not like to work on you are only adding to the future difficulty of diagnosing them by adding these items.

I called YNZ Yesterday as you suggested. The gentleman I spoke with was very knowledgeable and convinced me to stay with the 6v system.

I really appreciate your response and the information you provided.