1958 - Missing Body Mount Bushings

highcking

Something I noticed today while working underneath my '58 Roadmaster (doing seatbelt installation). Some (at least 2) of the rubber body cushions on each side are missing the bolts, nuts and  bushings. I can provide pictures if need be. I didn't notice this issue when I had the old interior and seats out of the cabin, though I don't know if that would have mattered. Now everything is assembled down to the seatbelts. 

Question -- can these mounts be fixed with the car fully assembled? It looks to me that on the cushions that are present (they look original), the bolt head is on the bottom and the nut is on the top of the assembly where I can't see it. Steele carries the rubber parts.

All advice welcome.

Bill in Luray 

I might be able to help if the front seat you have is the same or similar design as a 58 Roadmaster seat. It could be that the 57 Special seat has a gap between the bench and the backrest so you won’t have the problem I had. Try running your hand through or something like a plastic tool that won’t damage the seat. If there’s a gap it’s easy to do the lap belts.

I did not do shoulder belts or the back seat.  I installed standard GM belts for the late 50s. I can send a picture if you like. If my unused set would work for you, I’ll be happy to let you have it at no cost.

if you want to pursue this with me, use my email address: highc.king@verizon.net.

Bill in Luray Va

On 12/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, highcking said:

Something I noticed today while working underneath my '58 Roadmaster (doing seatbelt installation). Some (at least 2) of the rubber body cushions on each side are missing the bolts, nuts and  bushings. I can provide pictures if need be. I didn't notice this issue when I had the old interior and seats out of the cabin, though I don't know if that would have mattered. Now everything is assembled down to the seatbelts. 

Question -- can these mounts be fixed with the car fully assembled? It looks to me that on the cushions that are present (they look original), the bolt head is on the bottom and the nut is on the top of the assembly where I can't see it. Steele carries the rubber parts.

All advice welcome.

Bill in Luray 

Bill,

I can't recall if any of the body cushions on my Caballero were cushions only (without bolts), but I DO recall that there are some mount locations on the frames that are only used for certain body styles and models.

The "Frame and Sheet Metal" section of the 1958 Chassis Service Manual has excellent, detailed descriptions of the mount and cushion configuration for each and every mounting point.

Here's a link to that section, as posted on the "Hometown Buick" website:

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1958-buick-frame-sheet-metal-2/

Joe - thanks for the reply. I frequently use Hometown Buick even though I have all the paper manuals. Easy to print and expand the visuals. I see the schematic you have in mind and the note that there are variations from model to model. This thought occurred to me because I have a two-bolt-hole bracket on each side of the frame where only one of the holes has a bracket for the caged nut above it. This must be a model variation. I'm putting off this project to warm spring weather. I am currently finishing the tires/springs project and the seatbelts project. Once these are done, the car will be fully drivable. It's in desperate need of cleaning and detailing too.

Bill

On 12/28/2020 at 12:18 AM, highcking said:

Joe - thanks for the reply. I frequently use Hometown Buick even though I have all the paper manuals. Easy to print and expand the visuals. I see the schematic you have in mind and the note that there are variations from model to model. This thought occurred to me because I have a two-bolt-hole bracket on each side of the frame where only one of the holes has a bracket for the caged nut above it. This must be a model variation. I'm putting off this project to warm spring weather. I am currently finishing the tires/springs project and the seatbelts project. Once these are done, the car will be fully drivable. It's in desperate need of cleaning and detailing too.

Bill

Yes, there is at least one location where the Special/Century bodies used a different mounting hole than the Super/Roadmaster/Limited bodies. There were unique convertible and station wagon mounts, too. You're going to like the improvements provided by new bushings and related parts. There should be a more solid feel and less noise. ..and the doors should fit better, too!