Door locking mechanism for 1965 buick riviera

Bob Moye

The door locking mechanism on the driver door will not lock.  The inside button will not press down.  If you insert the key in the door the lock will turn to the left but not to the right.  Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is it the key lock or the internal mechanism?  How can I check this. 

Do I need a new mechanism or key lock. 

Do I need to remove the door skin?

Any information will be helpful.  I do not want to remove the door skin if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Bob Moye #2029

13 hours ago, Bob Moye said:

The door locking mechanism on the driver door will not lock.  The inside button will not press down.  If you insert the key in the door the lock will turn to the left but not to the right.  Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is it the key lock or the internal mechanism?  How can I check this. 

Do I need a new mechanism or key lock. 

Do I need to remove the door skin?

Any information will be helpful.  I do not want to remove the door skin if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Bob Moye #2029

How do you remove door skin, im trying to replace my locks as well?

Unless it is a Saturn, the door skin* does not come off without a grinding wheel, and it usually is not reusable.

You mean the interior door panel?

*Door Skin is the outer layer of a door assembly.

As to the original question. Most every GM door lock and latch I have seen are two different parts, and the door lock (where the key goes in) will not stop the latch from operating as long as  the key cylinder returns to the center (typically slot vertical) position.

I would take the inside door panel off and have a look see, remove the latch for cleaning. No, not an easy job, and wear long sleeves as those edges are SHARP!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...