Who Services Speedometers for 1957?

Brandon Todd

Hello, I am looking for someone who works on property adjusting the Speedometer for a 1957 Buick. I have replaced the ribbon and gauges, and everything seems to work fine, however the ribbon is out of adjustment, and I'm tired of trying to fix it.

Any leads/contact information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

1 minute ago, lancemb said:

What do you mean by "out of adjustment"?  If it is put together correctly and the components are in good order, there should not be anything to adjust.  It sounds like maybe you have the tension coil wound too much or inserted incorrectly?

Hi, Lance! 

I'm thinking the tension coil is wound too tight/is too loose. Everything works like it should, and by the I mean it no longer grinds, jumps around, or anything of the sort. The problem I have now is it's almost too sensitive - I'll be going 10 mph and it says I'm going 35. I just don't know how to properly adjust the coil so I know it's the correct tightness. 

58 minutes ago, Brandon Todd said:

Hi, Lance! 

I'm thinking the tension coil is wound too tight/is too loose. Everything works like it should, and by the I mean it no longer grinds, jumps around, or anything of the sort. The problem I have now is it's almost too sensitive - I'll be going 10 mph and it says I'm going 35. I just don't know how to properly adjust the coil so I know it's the correct tightness. 

When the car is stopped, is the drum in the correct position, meaning that the red portion is just at the edge of the ribbon window?

1 minute ago, Brandon Todd said:

Yes. It just moves up too easily. 

When you put the drum back in place with the tension coil detached, the tang bent out at the end of the coil should be just a little ways away from where it needs to go.  You should then compress the coil just enough to get the end tang in place.  Is that how you did it?  Do you have any pictures of your drum on the spring side that shows the orientation of the coil/spring when at rest?  I'm wondering if A] the spring itself has been damaged/stretched or B] the orientation of the spring has changed (maybe during repair).  If A] is true, it might be tough to get it calibrated correctly and may only be possible through trail and error.  If B] is true, the shaft would need to be repositioned so that the spring is correctly oriented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancemb said:

When you put the drum back in place with the tension coil detached, the tang bent out at the end of the coil should be just a little ways away from where it needs to go.  You should then compress the coil just enough to get the end tang in place.  Is that how you did it?  Do you have any pictures of your drum on the spring side that shows the orientation of the coil/spring when at rest?  I'm wondering if A] the spring itself has been damaged/stretched or B] the orientation of the spring has changed (maybe during repair).  If A] is true, it might be tough to get it calibrated correctly and may only be possible through trail and error.  If B] is true, the shaft would need to be repositioned so that the spring is correctly oriented.

I actually just removed the entire assembly. I can take some pictures and send them over and see if you can make anything of it. I had to take 2 speedometers and make one. I did it about 2 years ago and forgot how it all went back together, to be honest. But i know it all seems to work great, minus this issue. If it can be solved without me sending it off that'd be great!

I'll get some pictures later on todnight.