1925 Buick Standard Six coupe rear bumper

J.H.Boland

Well,it's finally installed ! My US built '25 Buick wasn't equipped with factory bumpers, unlike Colonel Sam's cars from Oshawa Ontario. I found a front assembly on Ebay a couple of years ago, complete with Buick Standard- specific brackets and had it restored. About a year ago, I found a set of rear bumperettes with matching contours, but very wrong brackets. A rough set of correct brackets were found on a parts chassis in California, and from these and pieces of the brackets that came with the bumperettes,a new set were fabricated. The pandemic set my plans back about nine months,but the rears are now on. 

Too bad I had to sell the my '29 McLaughlin-Buick to finance them !

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

• Like 4

Jim, 

Those bumpers and brackets look great.  How did you get your white wall spare with the white wall out?  On my 1925 Standard, the spare only goes on one way.   That is with the back of the tire facing to the rear on the spare tire holder if I remove a tire from the ground wheel.     Hugh 

7 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Jim, 

Those bumpers and brackets look great.  How did you get your white wall spare with the white wall out?  On my 1925 Standard, the spare only goes on one way.   That is with the back of the tire facing to the rear on the spare tire holder if I remove a tire from the ground wheel.     Hugh 

I had it mounted that way for esthetics only. It would have to be blackwall out if mounted on the car. I gambled on the cowl trim molding and lost .It broke in two while polishing. 

I ran into the same thing with my black walls.  They have a different mold pattern on each side.   I left it like a ground wheel and plan to use a spare tire cover.    These cars came with a spare rim and no tire so I imagine a surprise to many owners when they found it oriented only one way.  That cowl trim is very fragile.  Maybe that is why 1925 is the last year for that trim.  

• Like 1

The 1927 Bumper set I bought had the rear bracket holes in other locations from the pattern on the 1925. I welded them up, added an inch and a half in length to give me enough to re-locate the holes. Even so the location of the split bumpers is a bit off. Not vertical.2145149257_1925Side.thumb.jpg.b8869bfd10ba2de269f87fd3b0554b3c.jpg

You can see the kick up angle where the re-drilled brackets left the bumper. I did not feel like pulling everything apart to remake the brackets again. (Can't seem to find the close ups I took). Could probably use another 1 inch lengthening to get things to hang straight. The rear bumper had decent nickel and just cleaned them up. The front bumpers surface was so wavy that it would have to have been surface ground for it to be smooth enough to re-plate so I just had it powder coated.

DSCF7573.thumb.JPG.2367e7e8641d74009a4437247b361d9e.JPG

I may get to doing a redo on the brackets since I will have to pull everything apart to mount the correct 22" spare tire carrier now that I have the right wheels.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

The 1927 Bumper set I bought had the rear bracket holes in other locations from the pattern on the 1925. I welded them up, added an inch and a half in length to give me enough to re-locate the holes. Even so the location of the split bumpers is a bit off. Not vertical.2145149257_1925Side.thumb.jpg.b8869bfd10ba2de269f87fd3b0554b3c.jpg

You can see the kick up angle where the re-drilled brackets left the bumper. I did not feel like pulling everything apart to remake the brackets again. (Can't seem to find the close ups I took). Could probably use another 1 inch lengthening to get things to hang straight. The rear bumper had decent nickel and just cleaned them up. The front bumpers surface was so wavy that it would have to have been surface ground it to be smooth enough to re-plate so I just had it powder coated

The new rear ones on mine have a slight downward tilt , but considering that the brackets were scratch built,I'm not complaining. Like you, I'd have to heat them up and bend them,and then repaint them again.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
On 4/20/2024 at 11:00 PM, CharlesBuick said:

Did you happen to have any dimensions of any parts of those rear brackets for the 1925 bumper ? Thankyou

I just scratched out some drawings with dimensions and gave it to the fabricator .I still have the car and can do some measuring if you wish. Are you trying to piece one together like I did ?