Replacing Original Horns with Klaxons...AHOOOOGHAAAA! Is this a crime?

GrahamPaige29

21 hours ago, Graham Man said:

I've collected several over the years, and folks seem to enjoy the sound of the one on our '15 Hudson

On 11/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, Walt G said:

A question about who can repair horns- Sparton musical horns used to be restored by the late great George Jepson of NJ. He was a fantastic guy who owned fantastic cars but he DROVE all his cars! George used to repair Sparton dual and triple tube musical horns. There was the horn shop in central , NY state at one time as well. Both are gone. Does anyone know who can be trusted to restore to working condition the Sparton horns for a cost someplace under the national debt? If so please message me, I have a horn or two that I would like to see back working again to fit to my car.

Thanks

Walt

What about the air-raid siren you had on the Locomobile ? 😄

The guy in CNY is Bill Randall, The Horn Shop, in Rome, NY. 315-336-8841. Not sure if he's still around. He did a nice job fixing a triple Chime Bugle Sparton for me.

Paul

Edit, I just found Bill's obituary on line. He passed away last year. Really nice guy.  RIP, Bill.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

From an interesting article about car horns...

Another popular horn was the Klaxon, whose name was derived from the Greek word klaxo, meaning "to shriek". The Klaxon produced its sound with an electrically powered vibrating metal diaphragm. The Klaxon was the first horn to need "just a touch" rather than be sounded continuously, to clear the path for the automobile. The Klaxon-type diaphragm horn has evolved over the years and is the basis for today's modern diaphragm horns. Manufacturers have experimented with the diaphragm and sound chamber to produce a variety of sounds. Arguably the most memorable is the "Aoogha" sound of the horns on the Model T and Model A Fords of the 1920's and early 1930's. Over the years, there have been many studies and designs in an attempt to produce horns that are pleasing to the ear but still able to penetrate the low frequency rumble of traffic noise. Up until the mid 1960's most American car horns were tuned to the musical notes of E flat or C. Since then, many manufacturers have moved up on the scale to notes F sharp and A sharp.