1990 Reatta Driver's Side Transmission Output Seal

bnaatds

I pulled the CV Joint on the driver's side... there is a spline shaft protruding out through the seal. Has anyone changed this seal? Looks like (if I'm reading the manual correctly) the shaft doesn't come out without opening up the case.

DSC00468.JPG

I looked at the service manual and think it can be replaced without disassembly.    It would be unusual and stupid for them to design a case seal

that required disassembly to replace.    I have never done this seal on a Reatta transmission but you would need to be careful not to damage the output shaft

when removing the seal.     One helpful idea.......buy a new seal and that will give you an idea of the size and where you can pry. 

You may have enough room to punch a hole in the metal ring of the seal.... install a sheet metal screw and that gives you something to pry on. 

I have a repair work order from the previous owner of my 1988 Reatta. They replaced the drive shafts and seals and there was no indication on the work order/invoice of removing the transmission.

I did a transmission swap on a Reatta a few years back and we replaced the seals while the transmission was out.