Gen 1 ignition wiring question

BulldogDriver

I’m looking for clarification for ignition switch and coil wires. If I’m not having a senior  moment when you turn the ignition switch to ‘Start’ the black wire puts 12 volts to the coil and when it is in ‘On’ it is at 8-9 volts or whatever through the resistance wire. 

Being the ‘Start’ wire and the resistance wire are connected at the same terminal when the ignition switch is in ‘Start’ there is still voltage going back through the resistance wire and going to the gauge cluster but at the lower voltage. 

I believe I’m over thinking how I need to wire for modern technology, EFI and transmission control need constant voltage. When you go from ‘On’ to ‘Start’  voltage is dropped until you make contact to ‘Start’ and back to ‘On’. This causes them to ‘Reset’ both ways. 

Ray

Ray.......the resistance wire under the hood is a resistance wire back to the bulkhead connector at the

firewall. The corresponding wire that it plugs into on the inside of the car is a regular 12 volt wire, so what you need to do is to

get a wiring harness maker to make you a regular 12 volt wire with the correct terminal end on each end that you can slip into the bulkhead connector on the engine compartment

side. The wire from the coil to the 'R' terminal on the starter solenoid can be left as is. 

Winston are you sure about the resistance wire stopping at the firewall? The wire coming from the ignition switch was the same color code and cover material looked to be the same. Just saying as in my case it doesn't matter now. My ignition system is aftermarket electronic now and doesn’t use resistance wire.  

What I need to do is make sure that the power is not interrupted when you start the engine. What I’m trying to verify is that Voltage is still applied to the gauge cluster when in the ‘Start’ position is what I’m looking for. I’ve added a multipurpose gauge and want to make sure it and the other electronics have constant voltage between ‘On’ and ‘Start’ so I can finish wiring.

Ray