Rare electrical trivia

Smile

By any chance would anyone know what sort of colors were woven into M8 Stutz wire insulation? What color went where?

The wiring diagram is mute on the subject. 

With age original insulation coverings have now darkened, but they were quite light when first varnished I guess.

This is rare trivia indeed, but any nod in the right direction would be much appreciated.

M8 Stutz Wiring Diagram.jpg

29 1929 Wiring colours..png

Hi Mark

Where did the photograph of the firewall come from and do you know what car it is of?

Interesting in that the cam cover is for a blown car, the intake manifold is 1928 style. Firewall is 1929 with bijur pump and it look like it had a vacuum fuel pump that has been removed.

Thanks

Ken

For what it is worth - I am restoring a 29 M roadster that has some original wire which I am replacing.   From what I could tell, the non armored wire under the dash was all a tan cloth covered wire - no identifying colors.   The armored wire which ran along the inside frame through wood support blocks was a black cloth covered wire.  The original terminations at the terminals appeared to be a cloth covered insulation that covered the end of the armoring (which was cut approx 1/2" from where the insulation was stripped) and covered the end of the terminal where the wire was soldered to the ring terminal (see photo).   The cloth insulation "tube" must have then been varnished or shellacked  to keep it in place.

IMG_6358.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mdh7475 said:

For what it is worth - I am restoring a 29 M roadster that has some original wire which I am replacing.   From what I could tell, the non armored wire under the dash was all a tan cloth covered wire - no identifying colors.   The armored wire which ran along the inside frame through wood support blocks was a black cloth covered wire.  The original terminations at the terminals appeared to be a cloth covered insulation that covered the end of the armoring (which was cut approx 1/2" from where the insulation was stripped) and covered the end of the terminal where the wire was soldered to the ring terminal (see photo).   The cloth insulation "tube" must have then been varnished or shellacked  to keep it in place.

I can't thank you enough, that is just what I needed to learn.

Cheers,

Mark 

The picture of the wire ,the terminals were not that style . the wire was inserted in the  terminal and soldered the sleeve looked like one inch rubber tube . I can look at the complete dash from norman barr 1929 blackhawk he got at A K  MILLER I have this complete dash. I am restoring a 1929 m30 sedan and a1930 m42 STUTZL6

Hey John - double check the tube - I thought what I had was rubber tube also until I picked the hard outer layer off - then I found the cloth layer underneath.  I have 3 pieces of the old armored cable that look just like that.

Mark H