Hello from Western Australia.

linuxone66

Hi, Just thought I would drop a few lines in this forum as I have recently acquired a 1927 Chandler here in Western Australia.

I'm not sure how many Chandlers would be over here in Oz let alone in W.A. so I'm betting I will be asking questions of you all very soon 😄

I haven't taken possession of the car as yet, that happens in about 10 days hopefully, and the description the owner gave me is as follows:

"I was driving it and it started making a funny noise from the engine, so I stopped, turned it off, and got it trailer-ed home"

Other than that I have no idea what I have got myself into  😆

I do have a few other vintage/veteran cars and tractors, so not completely clueless  🤔

Have attached an image for interest.

Here's to a long and rewarding experience.

Regards

Wayne.

20200715_155840.jpg

Hello........neat car. Chandlers were quite prolific in the states when new........but considering how many they built, we seldom see them here. I expect the survival rate is exceptionally low. I see many more early ones than late ones. While not expensive cars when new, I’m have never heard owners complain about quality issues with them. Engine noise from a car built in the 20’s usually means a total tear down..........most common is bearing issues.........best of luck with the new car. Please post on what you find and it’s repair. Good luck, Ed.

PS- there is a recent book published on them......I would recommend you purchase it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hello........neat car. Chandlers were quite prolific in the states when new........but considering how many they built, we seldom see them here. I expect the survival rate is exceptionally low. I see many more early ones than late ones. While not expensive cars when new, I’m have never heard owners complain about quality issues with them. Engine noise from a car built in the 20’s usually means a total tear down..........most common is bearing issues.........best of luck with the new car. Please post on what you find and it’s repair. Good luck, Ed.

PS- there is a recent book published on them......I would recommend you purchase it.

Thanks for the info, yeh haven't really sussed the car out much as it is an unexpected addition to a property deal we have just finalised, they didn't want to move it and none of them are interested in getting it running again, so they have just left it in the shed  😁  Happy days for me, will go great beside my 37 Studebaker.

I kinda figured it is probably a spun bearing or something like that, haven't heard it yet, Just the kind of thing I like to get my hands on 😄 well, apart form a well oiled and running machine 😉

It will be a while before I get to lay my hands on the ole girl as I have the stude to finish and then a couple of british cars in various states of undress atm so busy times ahead 😄

Will definitely look out for the book, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

It might also be the oil pump as they were made from pot metal in some years. It looks like your car might actually be a 1928. 1927-1929 were very similar, the key is the badge on the radiator if you are not looking at the serial number. I believe there may be about 12 Chandlers left in Australia with less than 200 left worldwide.

Ed is correct get the Chandler book, you'll learn a lot about their history.

Please message me if you have any more Chandler questions.