1954 Kaiser Darrin for sale - not mine..

On 10/18/2020 at 11:25 PM, nick8086 said:

Collection of 3 very rare and hard to find Kaiser Darrin Convertibles. The cars are located in North Carolina.

Listed in Hemmings..

I saw that, interesting.  Somewhat unusually, right now there are 9 Kaiser-Darrins advertised in Hemmings online, at least if you count that one advertisement as 3.  I've always loved the Kaiser-Darrin and hope to own one eventually, but it seems like there have been some serious price swings on the cars in recent years (first way up, more recently, somewhat down from way up).  Perhaps that is just the market in interesting 50s two-seaters, as it somewhat tracks what happened to 190SLs?  Not sure.  Anyway, such interesting cars.

Dutch Darrin never penned a bad design (that I can think of).   These are desirable, attractive and neat but under powered.    The interior is the coolest of any of the non-Italian 1950s Sports cars of the 50s.

As for prices,  there have been a couple of big numbers for very nice cars that has set a high bar across the market.    For 75% of the cars listed those the asking price will not be attainable.  We typically all make the same mistake when valuing our cars,  look for the high water mark and use that to gauge the market.

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

As for prices,  there have been a couple of big numbers for very nice cars that has set a high bar across the market.    For 75% of the cars listed those the asking price will not be attainable.  We typically all make the same mistake when valuing our cars,  look for the high water mark and use that to gauge the market.

Perhaps.  FWIW, my sense of things in the last five years or so tracks the Hagerty trend on these cars over the last few years.   (When I looked closely at these cars around 2015, my sense was that $150k was the entrance fee for a really nice car.  Now it seems considerably lower.  Below, top line is a #1 car, next #2 car, then #3, etc.

1017570393_ScreenShot2020-10-22at1_19_42AM.thumb.png.a680994d3b247c71cc7026eebf8b339e.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)