Door Latch Repair 39 Zephyr

zephyrdave

The door latch spring on my 39 coupe broke. I removed the door panel and the screws holding the latch assembly. I can't seem to get the assembly past  the window channel so I can remove the assembly for spring replacement. The window channel is tack welded at the bottom and top.  Does the window channel have to be moved to get the door latch assembly out? Thank you in advance. Dave

Dave, it’ll come out with some persuasion.  Not one of the easiest task I’ve done . I’m assuming you have also removed the door lock cylinder from the door. Also remove the mechanism from the inside door handle . It takes some pushing and pulling to get it out. 

Some one in the past had tack welded the bottom of the window channel where the screws are supposed to be. I ground off the welds and was able to slide the mechanism down between the channel and the inner door skin. I ground off the rivets on the mechanism, pulled the pieces apart and replaced the spring. I then put the pieces together and tacked the rivets on the side that I had ground off. All is back together and working again. Thanks Dave