1923 Studebaker Roadster?

Right hand control in China.

Possibly purchased out of the Hong Kong Hotel Garage Studebaker Dealership on Stubbs Road. The dealership was also associated with the Shanghai Hotel. 

hongkonghtlgar1948e3.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, likely built at the Shanghai Horse Bazaar on the Light Six chassis. Have several photos of the facility and production of bodies on the Studebaker chassis. The Studebaker National Museum of course has one of the few surviving examples, a sporty coupe in medium blue. The topic has been covered in The Antique Studebaker Review.  

SharfShanghaiPhoto4 copy.jpg

museum car copy.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, studeq said:

Yes, likely built at the Shanghai Horse Bazaar on the Light Six chassis. Have several photos of the facility and production of bodies on the Studebaker chassis. The Studebaker National Museum of course has one of the few surviving examples, a sporty coupe in medium blue. The topic has been covered in The Antique Studebaker Review.  

SharfShanghaiPhoto4 copy.jpg

museum car copy.jpg

Many thanks studeq.

An extensive article on The Shanghai Horse Bazaar was written for the Sept/Oct 1974 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review by the editor's son Terry Cannon. In addition to the comprehensive 13 page article there were 25 photographs. If you are sufficiently interested I believe you could probably find an original copy of this publication or as a last resort I could scan my original. Other sources include the July/August 1972 issue of the same publication in which George Goodrich the son of the original owner of the museum car(Coy Goodrich) tells the story of the fathers connection to the car and the importing of the body into the U.S. in 1923 and its installation on the Light Six chassis. In more recent times there was a extensive article with numerous color photos in the Dec. 2006 issue of Hemmings Classic Car. I have all of these plus the photos.