fuel pump noise

pesd

I love my 16v, and she's been running great lately especially after I replaced the pick up coil in the distributor, BUT, after she drives for a while there's a high pitch noise coming from the fuel tank, I'm assuming this is the pump with the sock filter on it (Is this noise normal?). then today going up a steep incline she lost her power and started sputtering, Its happened a few times over the past few years. I always try to keep her with more than half a tank and that seems to help a little. Any thoughts are appreciated as always. she's going to bed for the winter in a month but I love driving in the crisp fall weather with the foliage in New England. Maybe I'll just keep her topped off and Enjoy her another few weeks and deal with it in the spring. I occasionally put injector cleaner in, never done the Sea Foam thing, ?????

THANKS 

35 minutes ago, pesd said:

I love my 16v, and she's been running great lately especially after I replaced the pick up coil in the distributor, BUT, after she drives for a while there's a high pitch noise coming from the fuel tank, I'm assuming this is the pump with the sock filter on it (Is this noise normal?). then today going up a steep incline she lost her power and started sputtering, Its happened a few times over the past few years. I always try to keep her with more than half a tank and that seems to help a little. Any thoughts are appreciated as always. she's going to bed for the winter in a month but I love driving in the crisp fall weather with the foliage in New England. Maybe I'll just keep her topped off and Enjoy her another few weeks and deal with it in the spring. I occasionally put injector cleaner in, never done the Sea Foam thing, ?????

THANKS 

As I recall, your TC had been stored for some time. It is my opinion, from having been a Chrysler Tech since 1959, that you will need to replace the fuel pump, and soon, before it quits altogether. I purchase mine at RockAuto.com and you may still find the specific one that fits your TC.

Newer pumps that fit the 'G' & 'J' body into the '90s will also fit, though the fuel and electrical connections may differ, which can easily be rectified.

• Like 1

It almost sounds like the baffle cup isn't doing its job, or maybe the sock is clogged. The fuel pump and the sock sit in a plastic baffle cup that is epoxied to the bottom of the fuel tank. The fuel return line feeds this cup to keep it full so starvation doesn't happen. BUT, with new fuel having ethanol in it, that stuff makes a mess of older rubber and plastics. My suggestion is to drain the tank as best as you can, drop it, pull the pump out and inspect. Just be careful of the rollover valve on the top of the tank. They are brittle plastic and break off very easily. I have heard that there is a JEEP part that works to replace it, but I don't know the part number.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

MY DOHC out of storage three weeks ago, new fuel pump, tank, and sending unit installed last week, been running great,\the few times I've taken it out, very excited till today, It cut out three times, just like someone turned the ignition off in the middle of traffic.

I coast to the best possible place, put on my flashers shut everything down and wait 15 minutes and she will start like nothing ever happened and take me another five miles or so and repeat. It seems the longer I let her rest the farther she will take me till I got home.  Any thoughts on what to look at next? MAP sensor? Fuel pressure regulator?  Last summer new, cap, rotor, coil, plugs, throttle sensor, two years ago new external fuel filter.

Afterthought! I just went and checked codes and did find a 54 (distributer sync pickup circuit), its odd they are new parts last fall and the car is running and sounding great, then nothing?? 

Thanks again, 

Peter

It's a Standard, aftermarket

I remember now, I couldn't find an OEM MOPAR, looking around just now and finding a MOPAR 4886069AA at a few sites but but when I "check fitment" is say's will not fit 89 TC DOHC.