American in South Africa

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Would request your help again please. Have received photo in UK concerning Grandfather in South Afica with a number of American cars. This one has stumpped a couple of our experts as not very much to really see!  A hole centrally in the apron and quadrant on the steering wheel. No door handles. Louvres look vertical. As door is open, quite visible dashboard. RHD !

Any Suggestions Please?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

2 - 1920s early to mid.jpg

I was confused by the stripe just below the top edge of the body. I thought at first it was a 'ridge' but maybe it is just a pinstripe - as found on some restored examples?

I see no sign of a gear shift lever so maybe it has the right side shift which was available for right hand drive cars in this era. Although I don't know for how much longer.

This 1917 car is in NZ. It has a locally built touring body and right side shift.

Yes that is frost on the ground.

IMG_0831 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0830 (1024x768).jpg

The right hand drive cars are McLaughlin's ; or at least McLaughlin built, so lots of small trim differences from Buick. They were possibly badged as Buicks depending on the marketing arrangements in particular export markets. Nickle plated steering column is normal on a McLaughlin. 

And it probably has right side shift like the red NZ car above. The single , lower rear , exposed door hinge is a give away . I can't think of any other car that has this arrangement apart from 1918 - 21, 5 pas. Buicks / McLaughlin's.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The other way to tell a 1916 / 17 from a 18 or later is the shape of the rear door. 1916 / 17 had a slightly shorter wheel base and the rear door has a cut away curve for the rear fender curve.

1918 and newer have the full rounded rectangle rear doors and the single exposed hinge

Greg

00Y0Y_kZVLO3BH2QX_1200x900.jpg.dbccaffb2d072e19372ea0f64bc46e68.jpg

00P0P_5m4pOmqrAo2_600x450.jpg.fbee40b914a66ea0aa30a073d015e711.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)