TEVES ABS issue

2Shelbys

Hey guys. I am having an issue with the TEVES MK2 ABS system. Everything was fine until the other day. I was coming to a stop at a light and when I got almost stopped the pedal went almost to the floor and I had essentially no brakes. I lifted and hit them again and had brakes momentarily and then the pedal went down again. Driving along and hitting them hard seems to work fine, as does coming to a regular stop, until your foot has been on the pedal for a bit then it goes soft. ABS and Brake lights are both on and stay on. No signs of fluid leaking anywhere. All around the unit is dry as are all four wheels and the proportioning valve. With the key off, if you hit the pedal a bunch of times to relieve the pressure, the pedal never gets any harder. I haven't looked at it yet. I have a new accumulator. I'm thinking either that, the pump, the pump switch, or maybe an internal leak in the valve block. Anyone had this issue? Oh, BTW, this isn't a Reatta. It's a Chrysler TC by Maserati, but they use the same system. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, 2Shelbys said:

Hey guys. I am having an issue with the TEVES MK2 ABS system. Everything was fine until the other day. I was coming to a stop at a light and when I got almost stopped the pedal went almost to the floor and I had essentially no brakes. I lifted and hit them again and had brakes momentarily and then the pedal went down again. Driving along and hitting them hard seems to work fine, as does coming to a regular stop, until your foot has been on the pedal for a bit then it goes soft. ABS and Brake lights are both on and stay on. No signs of fluid leaking anywhere. All around the unit is dry as are all four wheels and the proportioning valve. With the key off, if you hit the pedal a bunch of times to relieve the pressure, the pedal never gets any harder. I haven't looked at it yet. I have a new accumulator. I'm thinking either that, the pump, the pump switch, or maybe an internal leak in the valve block. Anyone had this issue? Oh, BTW, this isn't a Reatta. It's a Chrysler TC by Maserati, but they use the same system. Thanks in advance for any help.

I must tell you that it is most likely the ‘Hydraulic Assembly ‘ better known as the master cylinder, corrosion builds up as it does in regular master cylinders and cause internal failure. www.tcparts.com can supply rebuilt units.

Agree. Almost all braking systems (and not just power or ABS systems) have a master cyl and "pedal going to the floor" is a common symptom of leaking seals that may just fail to build pressure and not leak externally.

Personally I would not drive a car with those symptoms.