Another Image in my Unkown files

Ray Garcia

I am not sure where I got this image from, but I know I have seen it somewhere out there. I have it tagged as a late Gardner, there are similarities with models in Gardner literature, but not so much with the cars I have seen (which is only what has shown up at Hershey). As always, any and all help appreciated.  Also, looking forward to Gettysburg this weekend!!

Pos30Gardner.jpg

Hey Ray,

I can't help you with the make of the car, but I do know the location well.

That is the old Hollywood Music Box Theater which, having undergone many owner, name and facade changes over the years, still stands at 6126 Hollywood Boulevard as the Fonda Theater today (across the street from the world famous Pantages Theater).

The play on the marquis "Women Go On Forever" ran there in 1931.

Here is a reasonably current image from sort of the same angle as your earlier picture.

Cheers, Greg

2108072589_fondatheater.jpg.d0abc66498445efc9f1618b1d5d6a68a.jpg

The car is a 1928 model 95 Gardner.  Changes for 1929 were balcranck bumpers replaced with double bar bumpers.  Vents added to the cowl, and a different griffin radiator cap and sun visor. .
When painted in one of the 50 color combinations it's a good looking car.    Thanks for the picture

28-29-sedan.jpg

On 8/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, GregLaR said:

Greg,

Do you have any idea who the lady in front of the car was? She's dressed pretty stylishly. Maybe one of the actors in the play?

Hey Ray,

I can't help you with the make of the car, but I do know the location well.

That is the old Hollywood Music Box Theater which, having undergone many owner, name and facade changes over the years, still stands at 6126 Hollywood Boulevard as the Fonda Theater today (across the street from the world famous Pantages Theater).

The play on the marquis "Women Go On Forever" ran there in 1931.

Here is a reasonably current image from sort of the same angle as your earlier picture.

Cheers, Greg

2108072589_fondatheater.jpg.d0abc66498445efc9f1618b1d5d6a68a.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 3:08 PM, Douglas Gilmore Brown said:

Do you have any idea who the lady in front of the car was? She's dressed pretty stylishly. Maybe one of the actors in the play?

The actress in the photo is Bessie Barriscale and she was the star of "Women go on forever".  I have pictures of her in that car taken in March 1928 and the show was running at that time.
I knew the car quickly but this question took 11 months.