1955 Cadillac HydraMatic

Hughie

Does anyone have any information or video on a governor replacement for a 1955 Cadillac HydraMatic tranmission? Had the entire transmission rebuilt (minus the governor) and it doesnt shift out of first gear. I was told that I need to replace the governor. 

TIA

I have this Chilton’s Hydra-matic service manual that I do not need.  Either one of you can have it for the cost of shipping via media mail which would be about $4.00.  The manual has 260 pages of information and was written for regular garage men to repair the transmission. Seems to cover 1946 to about 1956.  Send me a personal message if interested.  

5321C37D-D82C-45EA-B1E7-33717951E5A0.jpeg

1A35E378-D6B0-4865-8FF9-2656C23CB0ED.jpeg

FE097E64-366B-4525-AB74-72D997BC2A70.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, Hughie said:

Does anyone have any information or video on a governor replacement for a 1955 Cadillac HydraMatic tranmission? Had the entire transmission rebuilt (minus the governor) and it doesnt shift out of first gear. I was told that I need to replace the governor. 

TIA

my thought was why would the governor miss out on the rest of the dual range hydra-matic getting rebuilt ?

On 8/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, TonyBabiak said:

They were making some changes in the mid 50s so I'm not sure which version you'll have. Here's a pretty good video of the older style.

this video shows a guy disassembling a rolls royce or bentley version of the R type dual range hydra-matic, i was pretty shock to see him using a not very stable 55 gallon metal drum for a workbench. pretty crude in his choice of tools used to perform various parts of the disassembling. RR & B have made several changes to the transmission to suit their need, such as the tailshaft housing having modification to run a ride control attachment off the transmission.