Dates of 1986, 1990, and 1992 Glidden Tours?

Guest Mark McAlpine

Guest Mark McAlpine

I'm compiling info on all the national tours and shows held by the AACA since its establishment in1935, including the VMCCA-hosted Revival AAA Glidden Tours that the AACA participated in.  I've researched all the back issues of Antique Automobile magazine and the Bulletin that preceded it (thanks to our great librarians for scanning all these issues to make them available to all of us!) and referenced the information provided by the VMCCA (which provided the years, locations, and host club--VMCCA or AACA--for the tours), but I have been unable to determine the dates for three past Revival AAA Glidden Tours.  I'm requesting help from all our past Glidden Tour participants.  Please check your memories, your Glidden Tour memorabilia, or your past issues of the VMCCA's Bulb Horn magazine and let me know the inclusive dates the following tours were held (and where you obtained the information):

- 1986 (41st Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Albuquerque, NM);

- 1990 (45th Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Colorado Springs, CO); and

- 1992 (47th Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Lexington, KY). 

Thank you in advance to everyone for your assistance!  Be safe and stay healthy!

I have photos from AACA events in the southeast from the 1960's and 1970's if you are collecting photos. A few from the 1969 Glidden tour in Tennessee. The Glidden photos were taken by someone else, not me, are in the hotel parking lot about dusk and thus not the best quality.

Don

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Don,

I appreciate the offer, but I'm just compiling historical data (how many meets & tours each year, where they were held, who hosted them, etc.)  I bet you have some pretty neat photos, though--probably even better memories of the tours.

Thank you very much for the offer, though!  If you can scan and post some of the photos, I bet your fellow members would enjoy seeing them.  I know I would.  (I've enjoyed reading the old issues of Antique Automobile.  I spent more time than I intended trying to gather the information I wanted because I got caught up reading the different articles.  It's pretty interesting to read what our predecessors in the club did, the cars they had, where they found them and how much they paid, and watching the club develop and grow over the years.)

Mark Mc

Mark,

This may help your searchList of long-timers from last year's Glidden.

Steve and Blanche Gordon, Thomasville, Ga, Steve = 52 Gliddens

Walter and Margie Frantz, Warfordsburg, PA, Walter = 41 Gliddens

Ron and Jan Shanholtzer,  Dayton, Va, Ron = 40 Gliddens

Ray and Nancy O'Hanlon, Putnam Valley, NY, both = 37 Gliddens

Don't know what kind of record keepers these folks are.... 

If all else fails, try Bob and Sally Murray, Lisbon, Ohio.  Sally knows the answer even before I think of the question!

Phillip

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks, Phillip!  I thought of Marty after I posted my request--I'll check with him and see if he has the info.

Bill Preston also put me in contact with Barbara Fox, the VMCCA Historian.  If she doesn't have the info, I'll contact Sally.  She, Ray Maxfield (VMCCA President), and I have been conversing about next year's Glidden Tour.  (I hope to be able to release info on it within the next two weeks.)

The AACA Library probably has past issues of the the VMCCA's Bulb Horn, but 1) Chris, Matt and Mike are busy enough preparing for the move to the new building; and 2) the magazines are probably packed up and in storage in preparation for the move.

Thanks again, Phillip!  Are you and Cheryl going to the Grand Nationals in Gettysburg?  If so, Marion & I look forward to seeing you there.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thank you to Barbara Fox, the VMCCA Historian, for providing me the information I was looking for:

- 1986 (41st Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Albuquerque, NM):  September 14-19, 1986

- 1990 (45th Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Colorado Springs, CO):  September 16-21, 1990

- 1992 (47th Glidden Tour, hosted by the VMCCA in Lexington, KY):  September 27 - October 2, 1992.

I appreciate Barbara's assistance (and that of everyone else who responded).  It demonstrates the great relationship between our two clubs!

Mark,

Glad you got the info you needed! 

I'll be interested in what works out on the Glidden rotation.  I guess 2020 will be a footnote on a future list....

Sorry, Cheryl  and I will not be at Gettysburg.   I had three other judges from HNR talked into it. But now they have all decided to stay home. Oh well...

Tell Marion we said Hi, we'll miss you guys.

I've sent you a PM on your other issue. 

Phillip 

• 2 months later...

Sorry, Cheryl  and I will not be at Gettysburg.   I had three other judges from HNR talked into it. But now they have all decided to stay home. Oh well..

On 8/5/2020 at 3:32 PM, Phillip Cole said:

Mark,

Glad you got the info you needed! 

I'll be interested in what works out on the Glidden rotation.  I guess 2020 will be a footnote on a future list....

Sorry, Cheryl  and I will not be at Gettysburg.   I had three other judges from HNR talked into it. But now they have all decided to stay home. Oh well...

Tell Marion we said Hi, we'll miss you guys.

I've sent you a PM on your other issue. 

Phillip 

Phillip,

Tom Gibson and I as well as at least one other Hornets Nest Region members will be in Gettysburg.  You and Cheryl should be too!

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 10/23/2020 at 6:33 AM, raoulazhaan said:

Sorry to hear that you & Cheryl won't be in Gettysburg, Phillip.  Marion & I were looking forward to seeing you both.

Let's hope things improve soon.  See you next year in Philadelphia and/or Charlotte.  Here's to a considerably better 2021!  Until then, be safe and stay healthy.