1907 Marvel Motor Car paperweight

I have one of these paperweights too. Don't recall much about the car but I found info in several books like Georgano and Beverly Rae Kimes encyclopedias. The paperweights I'd assume to be rare as the cars were only made a short time. 

Terry

Hi Terry,

From what I've read, it was only built in 1907.  I wonder if the paperweights went with each car sold or were handed out at auto shows.  Detroit renumbered their streets, so I wonder if the building exists.  I'll have to take a drive and see if I can figure it out.

I've collected early auto related glass paperweights for several years and compared to others, these were pretty cheaply made. There were not many brand specific "dealerships" at that time and most places selling cars were known as "agencies" and sold a multitude of different brands. Some small town garages also became agencies selling different brands. It's hard to determine under what circumstances these paperweights were sold or given away, but in my opinion, if an "agency" (or "dealership") was an authorized sales agent for the car, these were probably used as paperweights on the salesman desk.  In most cases, they just took orders for cars and may not have even had a demonstrator.   I have heard also some were on the counters of country stores, garages, even hotels as advertising pieces. We may never know for sure, that that all sounds possible. 

It's interesting how many I've seen. Yours, mine and over the years, a couple for sale at Hershey. That's not enough to make me think it's a possible repro. 

Anybody else got one?

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

That's some interesting information there, Terry.  I suspected it was a repro since it only had a couple of faint scratches that can be polished out, but the woman who sold it said she got it at an estate sale in Kansas City.  She surmised it was stuck in a drawer and forgotten.  It would be interesting to know.  I've never seen a Marvel, and wonder if any exist.

How do you consider this to be cheaply made compare to others in your collection?  I thought it was well made with thick glass and the image imprinted on the back surface.  I have a few other non-car paperweights that have a photographic image on cardboard inserted from the bottom.  I know some expensive paperweights have an image or medallion inserted in the center, then it is surrounded by more material, hermetically sealing it.     

Jim

The glass blanks are easy to find and are not expensive. The Marvel paperweight is made by gluing a paper printed advertisement  into the back and then backing with cardboard and painting with a sealer of some kind. It may have also had felt backing at on time.  Most paperweights I've seen and have in my collection are made using a transfer print (decal) applied to the glass then seal coated and felt backed. Here is a photo of a much higher quality piece from my collection.  I think the Marvel paperweights are genuine, just more cheaply made.

Terry

20200327_112500-1.jpg

Terry,

That's a nice looking paperweight.  My Marvel paperweight is like what you describe for a higher quality one.  The image is actually imprinted on the back side of the glass, and the image is slightly recessed from the bottom of the piece so it doesn't get scratched up.  There was never any cardboard, felt, etc.  In fact, you can hold it up to the light and see very tiny areas where the image is missing.  The sealer is red.  Apparently Marvel used at least two types of paperweights.

Mine is like yours except the back round is white and does not have as much foxing or discoloration. I'll try to post a photo when I can get to it.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Terry, your paperweight can be dated to prior to 1909 when JF Pitt passed away and his daughter Mabel inherited the business and became the only female owner of a carriage company which was active until 1934.  She oversaw the construction of the company building which is located in the East Des Moines Historical District was restored to office space in 2018.  Interestingly it is a couple of blocks away from the site of the Duesenberg brothers Bicycle shop where they produced the Mason and later Maytag Mason automobile before moving to Indianapolis.

• Like 1