Car Hauling Rates

Could anyone tell me what the going rate is for car hauling? And do most haulers just charge for the loaded mile? What about insurance on the vehecle being hauled? Whos responsable for the insurance? Thank You

I've found that it depends a lot on the area you're in. I paid $1.25/mile roundtrip to get a car transported by rollback from OH to VA last summer. I might have gotten by cheaper using a commercial enclosed transport, but using the gas station up the street ensured the car was picked up and back home in a day, and didn't have to fool with tracking the truck and wondering why it was taking so long to get here.

Most insurance carriers will automatically cover a newly purchased vehicle but you should check with your underwriter to be sure. I'd make sure I had coverage on it just for peace of mind. Any reputable tow or transport service will have plenty of insurance. Don't be afraid to ask them.

I moved a car in an enclosed trailer from Phili to Boston last year.., a lot of the advertisement in hemmings were retirees, which is fine, but they stop at their house for the night etc, used open trailers.which I didn't like. 4 or 5 were contacted, and gave prices of between $600 and $850, which I thought was high. These were the local "little guys". Finally called www.intercitylines.com . This was during the week of the Barrett-Jackson Auctions (my understanding is they are a preferred carrier of the auction), so, I don't know if that made it cheaper or more expensive, but the price was $450! Insured for $1,000,000, cars were in enclosed trailer AND individually covered. Sometimes it pays to go with the "Big guys"! Very professional, friendly, the driver was a gentleman, and took obvious care of each vehicle. Was not rushed to get to the next stop. the only thing you may not like is that it was not a direct nonstop trip from A to B (you being B) but more of a circuit. They call 24hrs before arrival, in my case they called in the morning about 3 days after pickup... they would be close by and could drop it off in an hour if I would be available to sign off. Your car is well documented before they take it, scratches buff marks, dings etc, and as I said the cars are covered so if anybody drips over you, you are protected. I know this produces some anxiety waiting for the car you paid for, but I would recommend this company highly. Good luck, Steve

A bit more than a year ago, my dad shipped his '38 bmw 327 (project) to me from LA to NY and I believe he paid about $1800 via Horseless Carriage. They were 110% prompt, careful, professional, and pleasant. I'd deal with them again in a heartbeat.

I just paid $1,450 to have a car brought from Sacramento CA to Portland ME in an enclosed truck by a CT company. Other quotes were in the $2,200 range. I was a little worried about the deal since no contract was required and they seemed a little casual about the arrangments. I had to call a few times to get information on departure and arrival times, but in the end it arrived as stated. I had checked with Hemmings complaint department first and they had no complaints on file. All that said, the owner/driver accidently broke the license plate bracket (pot metal) as he was unloading it. He felt terrible about it and will pay for a new one (he says). Accidents happen to the best of us and given that I saved $800 (and I can get a another bracket easily), I was satisfied overall.