1951 Special fuel pump info

Outbdnut

The fuel pump in my 1951  Special (263 engine) is bad.  The engine is out of a 1953 Special and I recently rebuilt it.  The 1953 fuel pump started leaking so I put the 1951 pump on and it worked for awhile, but quit pumping.  I have no idea if either engine had the correct year fuel pumps but they both worked. 

Questions:

1.   When I look up fuel pumps and fuel pump rebuild kits online, they show different part numbers for 1946-1951 vs 1952-56.  Is this right?  I'm having a hard time believing the 1954 -56 V8s used the same pump as the 1952-53 straight 8s, but I see them listed this way at more than one online supplier.

2.  If 1951 and 1953  263 fuel pumps are different, how can I identify the two pumps I have so I know what kit to order?   

3.  I'd like your thoughts on electric fuel pump conversion.   I'm doing a mild custom on the car and don't care about keeping everything stock, and I have converted the car to 12 Volts.   I'm considering installing a "universal"  electric fuel pump.  I don't care about the vacuum assist for the wipers.  The 1951 shop manual says the factory pump puts out 4 - 5 psi between 450-1000 rpm, measured at the carb.   Is there an electric pump anyone out there has used and can recommend? Pumps to avoid?  I notice some electric pumps are rated at 4 to 7 psi - is 7 too much for the carb float valve to handle?    Rockauto.com has this pump intended for marine use that is rated at 2.5 to 4.5 psi that I think will work:  https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=293422&jsn=2229&jsn=2229&jsn=2229

Rockauto also has this one made for cars rated at 4 to 7 psi:  https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5812278&jsn=2227   which I'm thinking should work unless 7 psi is too much.

I'd like to avoid adding a pressure regulator, but if I have to, that's not the end of the world.

Both the above pumps have 5/16th"  hose connections, so line size would not need adapting.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

Jon’s advice should always be followed.

A lot of us use auxiliary pumps to prime the carbs after the car has sat for a while or to combat vapor lock in warmer climates. My advice is install it as close to the tank as possible and use one that is rated 4-7 as the pressure drops over the length of the line. I always use a toggle switch to turn it on and off. I recommend a Carter brand electric pump if you are going to run it alone. The small Pep Boys variety are really taxed to keep up on their own. Do not buy an Airtex. I shan’t go into that advice. Just don’t. 

I did some more searching on mechanical fuel pump kits and found that there are differences.  I found kits for 1940-51, 1952-53, and 1953-56 (V8s).    The 1952-53 kit has one of the diaphragms with 8 screw holes and a detail off to one side with a bigger hole, while the 1940-51 has both diaphragms with 10 screw holes and no extra hole.  I have three pumps that all fit on a 1951 and 1953  263 engine and they all need the 1940-1951 kit, the 1952-53 kit will not work, so it appears the pump that came on my 1953 engine is an older style.   I know what to order now!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1