Coil Pack Question

Waddy2001

On my 1988 Reatta, the coil pack was replaced right off the bat. That coil pack had like a gel on the bottom of it, like glycerin if you get the idea. That mechanic was good, worked on many classic cars and the coil pack was supposedly OEM. It failed last summer. My new mechanic replaced the coil pack saying, "It had all this gooey stuff on the bottom". The one he installed is all metal, the base has small fins on the surface. Has anyone encountered something like this? Unless the gel, which was quite thick, was silicone, it would never stand the heat. Just curious, nothing vital. The new pack is working fine. Thanks. 

The gooey stuff is the first sign the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is going bad. In my opinion the ICM should be replaced when you see that goo coming out.

All that goo should be cleaned off the mounting plate. The mounting plate the ICM bolts to grounds the ICM and works as a heat sink to help keep it cool. Below is a photo of the ICM and what it looks like inside when you see the goo on the outside. 

I don't recall seeing an ICM that has fins on the bottom. Do you have a photo of that?

ICM-magnavox-4.jpg

2 hours ago, Waddy2001 said:

On my 1988 Reatta, the coil pack was replaced right off the bat. That coil pack had like a gel on the bottom of it, like glycerin if you get the idea. That mechanic was good, worked on many classic cars and the coil pack was supposedly OEM. It failed last summer. My new mechanic replaced the coil pack saying, "It had all this gooey stuff on the bottom". The one he installed is all metal, the base has small fins on the surface. Has anyone encountered something like this? Unless the gel, which was quite thick, was silicone, it would never stand the heat. Just curious, nothing vital. The new pack is working fine. Thanks. 

Upgrade to the newer version.

Do a quick search it will come up.

• Like 1