Model A Prospector

keithb7

Hi folks. I have have a warm place in my heart for Model A Fords. Not sure why. I just like them. I currently own a couple of old Mopars and thoroughly enjoy them. I still want a Model A some day. 

I’d like to tear into one and learn all about them. I am interested in hearing about your experiences with parts availability. Both old original parts, and new production. I suspect there is large demand and a great number of suppliers. How’s the aftermarket quality of parts?  Hows prices on used and reproduction parts?

Is there a much wood in model A cars? Where is the wood? Wood doors sheeted with metal or no? Wood in the roof I suspect?

I like the simplicity of early automobiles. My 53 is almost borderline too new for my liking. My ‘38 I enjoy working on so very much. 

Ideally a Murray body town sedan, or a cabriolet will finds its way to me some day. 

I’d love to hear all the great things about restoring a Model A. All the worst things too. To help me understand and prepare for a future car.  Much appreciated.  Thanks. Keith. 

Model "A's" are great cars and good choices for first time delves into "old"cars. Parts, both original and reproduction are readily available and are reasonably priced compared to other marques. Parts availability, of course , will vary depending on body style but most of the repro parts are fairly good, at least from what I see now than they were say 40 years ago. There's a ton of great literature available on Model a's and i highly suggest that you get as much as you can and really get to know and understand the car. While the '28-'29 and '30-'31's may look similar and share parts with all years, there are many subtle changes you should be aware of. All Model A's have some wood in them, most bodies use the wood as support and tacking for the interior ,seats and roof. The fordors and Victorias  are 2 that use structural wood. A's are not perfect cars and have some inherited troubles, so getting to know them will help you avoid some of the troubles that can come up. I ran mine for 16 years without any major problems and it was a fun ride. One big issue now is the demise of LeBaron Bonney Co., a premier fabric and interior manufacture that supplied quality interiors and tops for Model A's, later Fords and Gm products. Good luck on your project...enjoy!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The first step you should take is to check out both of the national Model A Ford Clubs which are www.mafca.com for the Model A Ford Club of America and www.modelaford.org. Go to both websites and see which club has an active regional group that is closest to where you live. Once you figure that out join one-or both- of the national clubs and then join an active regional group. From there, you can get first hand experience about Model A ownership and decide if this is what you want. Model A owners are a very enthusiastic and welcoming group and are very willing to share experiences and offer help, but to get this you really need to be involved on a local level. 

Communicating on the internet is great, but its NOTHING compared to hands-on experience. 

Model A Fords are great cars. Model T and A Fords are the backbone of the antique car hobby. They both have an enormous, worldwide following. I would highly recommend getting one!

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1