Gas Pedal Starter

I have a 1954 buick century that i am working on and I want to replace the wires that go to the carburetor that start the car when you step on the gas pedal, but i don't know where they connect to and where they end up at. can anybody help? becerradad59@netzero.com

no its not that, there were two wires that went directly to a switch on the carb and when you turned the key and stepped on the pedal the car would start. it was a foot starter for that year of the car.

That is the same starter switch they used on the packard up to 1953 on the carter carbs. It is wired the same as if the switch was on the key , a wire goes from the Ign terminal on the key switch to the carb switch, from the other side of the carb switch to the netural safety switch if your car has an auto trans and the to the starter sol on the starter.

On my 60, once the ignition is in the "on" position, one terminal to the starter relay is hot and the wire going to the carb is

hot. Once you press the gas pedal, the linkage on the carb hits the switch on the carb and

now the circuit is complete to switch terminal on the starter relay and the car will crank.

The switch on the carb sometimes gums up. If you take it

apart and clean it your in business again.

Good morning, my name is dave, I live in carlisle,pa. I own a 1959 electra,in

fair condition,and would like to join BCA, who do I talk to?I looked in the pa.,registry and it looks like the chapter nearest me is in claysburg, pa.

Any help?

Thank you, David E. Clapper

To David Clapper,

I also own a 1959 Electra, and hope that you will indeed join the BCA. At the left side of your screen, you will see links to several clubs, including the Buick Club of America. Click on this link, which will connect you to the BCA home page. Look through the menu options on the left side of the screen, and you will see "Membership" listed as an option. Click on this for dues and membership information and the application form.

I know of other active '59 Buick enthusiasts located in Pennsylvania, and hope that you will consider attending next summer's Buick Centennial celebration in Flint. One member is making plans to gather all of the '59 Buicks together for a photo and perhaps a short tour. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at laurance@integrity.com