1940 crank housing removal

Lee Cobb

Trying to remove the crank housing so I can mount the engine to a stand to work on it. Catch is I can’t seem to get it off! I’ve removed 4 bolts, two on each side of the engine, and the pan off the bottom. It looks like there is one all the way at the top of the housing on the inside? But couldn’t see exactly... thoughts? Paint color wise, it is supposed to be the same as the engine correct? Thanks! 

You have two locator pins, the four bolts you got out already, and then two inside the bell housing.

DSC_0862.thumb.jpeg.7935c8111ae3fc034c5dceaae4d6ca19.jpeg

13 hours ago, Lee Cobb said:

Trying to remove the crank housing so I can mount the engine to a stand to work on it. Catch is I can’t seem to get it off! I’ve removed 4 bolts, two on each side of the engine, and the pan off the bottom. It looks like there is one all the way at the top of the housing on the inside? But couldn’t see exactly... thoughts? Paint color wise, it is supposed to be the same as the engine correct? Thanks! 

You have to get the flywheel off. Remove rear main cap, then remove the 6 flywheel bolts, these are "thru" bolts all 6 have to be removed and can only be knocked out with rear main cap removed and crankshaft will have to be rotated, can do maybe 2 bolts at a time then rotate to the next 2 bolts, remove flywheel, then you can get to the top 2 bolts inside the bell-housing. Also before you start to remove the flywheel, mark the flywheel and the crankshaft so you can put it back on in the same position, it`ll go on 6ways, only one is correct for timing marks to show in the window.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DSC_0858.thumb.jpeg.1ccb0e468643f2a05480971c0966451e.jpeg

rear main removed, you can see the bolts that release the flywheel.

MARK your flywheel position to the crank, and the pressure plate to the flywheel.