Convertible tack strip for 1954 Buick Super

Chevalier

Working on a 1954 Super convertible and finally getting around to restoring the top frame assembly.  Finishing up some metal repair on the header before repainting the entire frame.  All of the tack strip was shot, so I ordered up the fiberboard tack strips for the convertible top frame, but noticed the ones I got in are really just compressed paper.  My understanding is that this is probably the 'correct' material, but i'm just not a fan of paper and convertibles.  It looks like the original material was covered in some sort of black tar like material that I assume was meant to offer a bit of waterproofing that the replacement pieces are lacking.  I've seen some sources that recommend a plastic tack strip which is indifferent to moisture.  Anyone had good or bad experiences with either of the materials to offer suggestions on which way to go?  I was thinking of shooting the fiberboard with some black flex seal to match the original color as well as offering some water resistance.  Also, it looks like it was just set in the channel.  Some areas have tabs that fold over to cinch it into place, but some areas the strip was just set it.  Was there originally an adhesive or staples?  I'm referring to the back bow in particular.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards

Dave

Pearland, Texas

1954 Buick Super

old tack strip.jpg

new tack strip.jpg

The plastic kind like Mike suggests will bend easier around the curves of the bows, but they can be more difficult to get to accept a staple, unless you have a really good staple gun and really sharp staples. I prefer to use the cardboard kind on the straight bow sections, and the plastic or vinyl type for the curved portions of the bows. Getting the cardboard kind wet should not be a consideration--convertible tops are impervious to moisture, unless they get torn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used plastic exclusively. My local trim shop had different sizes I could buy. Most of the retaining tabs were rusted away. Where possible I used pop rivets to hold the strip. I some places I welded on new tabs and bent them over to hold the strip......Bob

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'll probably use what I have for the channels that I've ordered, but I have a few more areas to pick up strip for, such as around the door edge for the windlace panel.  I like the idea of the plastic there, since it is more likely to see some moisture.  I know that there shouldn't be an issue with the top being waterproof, but there is already a problem if the top is up 😉  Since I've taken the car halfway across the country with the top sitting in my garage, I don't expect to put up the top unless it is parked and raining.....

Regards,

Dave

ps I've taken the opposite approach from most and got the mechanicals sorted out on the car, starting with a body off cleanup of the frame and driveline.  I wanted to get the car out and enjoy the Buick goodness, and have had a lot of fun in it's ratty condition.  Now, I'm finally getting to the the finish work so that it looks as good as it drives.  This was on a roadtrip from Houston to Bonneville Speed Week back in 2014.  Sadly got there only to have the event flooded out.  Still, made for a great road trip catching up with some friends driving their classics in from all over the country.....

Buick pict-Bonneville trip 2014.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

well after a week of metal work and cleaning up, I decided it was time to call it good on the top frame.  Here it is with the first coat of epoxy primer.  After that dries, I'll give it a skim of filler for final smoothing, then final paint.  After that, it will get new tack strip and weather strip.  Looking forward to getting it mounted on the car, though I still have to install the new window glass before I'll be able to make any final adjustments for fitment.

Hope everyone else is out enjoying their cars :)

Regards,

Dave

1954 Buick Super 56C

top in epoxy.jpg

• Like 2